When Did Your Kids Lose Their First Tooth?

My daughter is 4 years 8mos and said that her tooth hurt a little this evening, looked at it, it looked a tad crooked and I touched it and it wiggled! It just seems too early for her to lose it. Will call the dentist tomorrow am, but just wondering until then. Thanks.

5 years old is very common.

My son is 5.75 years old and just lost his first tooth.
My daughter was about that age as well when she lost her first tooth.
My son's Kindergarten Teacher says, it is common.
I also work at my kids' school and everyday, Kindergarten aged kids were SHOWING me their loose tooth or teeth. Or showing me the gaps in their mouth of where they lost their tooth.

Why call the dentist?????

My daughter got her first tooth at 3 months. At the age of 5, Easter before starting Kindergarten she had no teeth from eye tooth to eye tooth bottom and top. My grand kids who got their teeth in early have already lost several of their teeth too. It is normal to start losing them at 4 and 5.

i'm glad you asked this question - my son is 5 and several of his little friends have been losing them since they were 4, i was starting to worry lol. but per the answers below he's still ok...lol.

No, it could take a couple of months for it to come out and 5 is a normal age to lose your first tooth. My daughter was 5 when it happened to her and my son was 6. A loose tooth in an almost five year old really isn't a reason to call the dentist or to be alarmed.

Honestly this seems OK, the kids in our family usually lose their first tooth between 4.5 and 5.5. A rule of thumb is early teethers lose teeth earlier, and girls generally lose their first tooth earlier than boys. One of my brothers had 4 teeth missing when he started kindergarten at 5 and the other kids thought he was special, lol!

My son just lost his first one and he turned 6 in January...

The earlier they teeth, the earlier they lose 'em! My 1st teethed late and didn't lose her first one until 6 1/2. My youngest is 4 1/2 and teethed early so I'm expecting a loose one in the next year.

My older son turned 6 in January. He lost his first tooth shortly after he turned 5. Since then he has lost 4 more, and three more are currently wiggly :) and a word of advice...be prepared! The tooth fairy was not ready when his first tooth came out. She didn't have any singles (or change) so she had to leave a five! Luckily, she scales back from that tooth on ;) all the rest of his teeth will now be worth a quarter.

My son just lost his first tooth in Disneyworld. He lost it a week after his 8th birthday. He didn't even know he lost it, we assume he swallowed it, but wouldn't let us verify, lol, if you know what I mean :)

Your daughter is fine...

My daughter was 3.5-4 and in preschool when she lost her first. By the time she was 10, she had lost every tooth she was supposed to lose plus had her 12 yr molars.

Some children go through it earlier. Our daughter has a perfect set of teeth with no orthodontics needed, no cavities, etc. Just instill good habits now!

Also, when the dentist recommends sealants... do it. Most insurance covers it and it is SO worth it.

As all the others have stated she is fine. The earlier they get their baby teeth the earlier they lose them. My daughter got her first tooth at 8 months and just turned 5 in Feb. Her one tooth has been loose for the last couple months. My son got his first tooth at 13 months and didnt loose his first tooth till he was almost 8.

Why call the dentist?????

5 years old is very common.

Consider yourself lucky!
My daughter is having the (as I have found out) very common issue of her adult teeth trying to come in before her baby teeth are even loose.

So now her big tooth is pushing in behind/next to her front baby tooth.

If her baby tooth doesn't come loose on its own int he next 5 months we have to go in to have it pulled, and its neighbor, since if one tooth does that, it's twin usually does too.

She looks snaggle-toothed right now :(
She is going to be 7 in October.

It seems to vary wildly, at least in my family. My older daughter didn't get her first tooth until she was a year old, and then lost her first tooth when she had just turned 5! My younger daughter got her first tooth on schedule at 6 months, but she is turning 7 next week and STILL hasn't lost her first tooth (although she has 2 that are very wiggly). So... it's totally random. It's really driven by how fast the adult teeth start to come in - that is what makes the baby teeth loose.

My daughter lost her first tooth the week she turned 5. The two bottom teeth had been lose for a couple of months before the one fell out. She had the two bottom baby teeth all ready to move into position. She just lost her 3rd tooth and she is 5 1/2.

Seems like she is right on schedule :)

A friend of ours has a daughter who managed to lose 2 teeth at around 4 and 4.5 years old. No decay, just the adult teeth were already pushing through. They were the bottom 2 middle incisors, which were the first teeth she got as a baby, and she first got them at 2 months! Maybe the earlier they get them, the earlier they lose them? My daughter didn't get her first tooth until around 8 months, so I am assumming she'll lose it a little later.

My kids didn't start losing teeth until they were six. Their teeth don't seem to want to come out on their own, and they are causing the adult teeth to be crooked. My 10 year old had lost 10 teeth so far, but 8 of those were pulled by the dentist, and my 7 year old has lost 4, but 2 of those were pulled. A few of their friends started losing teeth in kindergarten, while other not until grade 2.

My son will be 7 next month and is going into 2nd grade. He had not lost a tooth yet. He had x-rays done at the dentist and we were told he is "dentally delayed". His dentist predicted that he'll lose his first tooth around Christmas. My niece lost 2 teeth before she started Kindergarten.

My daughter is 5 and a half and her 2 bottom front teeth just started to get loose this week. My Grandpa and Uncle and dentists and my Mom , Aunt and Cousin are all Dental Hygienists - they all said between 5-8 years old is typical for losing the first tooth/teeth.

Your daughter is a little early, maybe she hit her mouth/bonked into something and knocked it loose? If you have dental insurance, I would take her to the dentist (granted that is a bit less of an issue for me than for most ppl - we just go visit relatives), just to check it out, incase it is not ready to come out yet, and they is not another tooth behind it ready to come in, they may be able to "fix" it until it is time. But it also may just be a tiny bit early!