When Did Your Kids Hit Puberty?

I would like to know what age your children started puberty. Please specify the child's gender, at puberty and if possible the year.

I ask because I have heard that the hormones in our food (milk especially) causes kids to go through puberty much earlier.

My son is 15 and for the past year he started getting hair in areas and facial hair, as well as his voice has become deeper. My step daughter that are now 14 and 16 started their periods at the age of 13. My other step daughter is 11 and has not shown any signs as of yet. My hubby has a niece that is the same age of his 11 yr old and she has boobs and her period. His other niece is 10 and has started to begin developing already. I never heard of what you eat makes a difference on when you start or how easy it makes it, but this will be interesting to hear about.

I'd say if that's a connection then now is the best time to go organic and offer foods without hormones. I've heard about hormones in foods, but this is the first I've heard it affecting when kids hit puberty. I makes sense, in a way.
I have 3 sons. And I bought half % for years. But that's the fat content. But it's hard to tell when they hit puberty, really, because guys can be so private and secretive around their moms, that it'd be anyone's guess.

my kid started her puberty at age 9 in the year of 2009

My daughter is 10 and has not started her period yet "knock on wood". A friend of mine's daughter started when she was 9 years old 6 years ago. I think that is horrible. I was 12 and I am hoping my daughter can outlast that age, 13 or 14 would be nice. I am not looking forward to this phase in her life at all.

S.,

My son is only five, but I have read enough research to know that our food is affecting our health and the future generations in many ways. This is why 'organic foods' are becoming more popular and easier to obtain in the stores.

It is not just the milk, but the meat as in the case of cattle... the stress hormones are also something to be considered. Cortisol levels in the animals for 'eating' if raised in a bad environment stay in the tissues that we ingest. Doesn't take much to figure out what happens after that.

This is why I do not raise much fuss when my son prefers water (purified) over milk - and I usually purchase organic or soy (both taste better to me anyway). Both of us also barely eat meat - and I know I feel better when I don't.

The research is out there and available. You just have to decide what you want to do with it.

It's funny because I used to eat more meat & dairy products a few years back. It wasn't until I trained for my work now that I scaled off - I found out what my body craved to do my job and what made me feel better. Not only that, but as someone that suffers from an auto immune disorder, I do notice some foods affect me more compared to others. If I eat more 'natural' foods the way they are prepared in nature - meaning in their skins and raw vs. prepared in the frozen foods section or canned; I have more energy and my aches/ pains are less. If I eat junk food or fast food for convenience, I suffer for it - my stomach hurts, as well as my body.

If you think about it - our older generations never had the health issues that we do now. I feel the over convenience of pre-packaged foods, the over-abundance of fast-foods and the push of 'fat-free/low fat' foods are indeed part of the issue. This stuff was never around in the earlier years for the older generations and there was less cancer and heart issues - as well as other health concerns. As well as less need for an abundance of medical prescription commercials.

UPDATE:
Here is one of the sites I frequent in my work:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12826028?dopt=Citation

There are other sites attached. (This is from a vegan site.) There are facts based on this research.

HI S.,
It is very true that children are entering puberty earlier. Not only are growth hormones used in mass production chicken and beef yards, but most of the chemicals in our household products act as xenoestrogens- that is they mimic the estrogen effect in girls and boys. Also phthalates are actually blocking human testosterone necessary for the masculinization of males. I have tons of health information- I can send you a link to the CBCDocZone in Canada for their documentary, The Disappearing Male, or maybe you can Google it. Also try googling CBC Toxic Brew, about chemicals in household products. Because children are being harmed by chemicals, I have a green products business- please contact me if you want any further info- I also have info about SIDS related to chemicals- very interesting info out of New Zealand.
Take care,

I talked to my doctor about this because my daughter started developing at the age of 10. I remember I went through puberty around 13. He said the hormones in the milk and meat do play a role in earlier development. We have started buying hormone free milk. She turned 12 in July and had her first period that month. Although she thought she was late as all of her friends started thiers at age of 10 and 11. It really concerned me and through me off as a parent to see my daughter develop so early. My son is 17 and it is harder to tell with boys - but he seemed right on schedule. However, he drinks a ton of milk - we buy 6 gallons a week for a family of 4. He is 6 foot 7 inches and taller than anyone in either one of our families. We have no idea if hormones played a role in that or not. My daughter is 5'6" at the age of 12 so she is tall too. Good Luck.

My son is 15 and is just getting facial hair and continues to get taller.

My daughter is 12 and will probably start menustrating about the same time as me (13). I just took her to the pediatrician and she said that shortly after pubic hair appears, girls will start their period.

Does this help?

The reason my kids are at the normal age for puberty is because I am conscientious of what they eat, the amount of milk they consume (skim milk), they take supplements (which helps ease into puberty) and we use non toxic cleaning and laundry products.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions, I welcome them.

My oldest daughter "developed" in 8th grade, but didn't start menstrating until 10th grade (age 15) in 2005. My youngest developed and started menstrating in 8th grade (age 12) this year. My mother was 10 when she started and I myself was also in 8th grade (age 13); so I don't know if the hormones put in food play into it or not. Good luck with your survey.

1 / 3