When Did Your DC Start Walking?

My DD is almost 15 months old and is still not walking. In fact, she won't hardly even "walk" when we hold her hands to get her to try walking on her own! At first we weren't too worried but as she gets older- I can't help but wonder if maybe we should have her checked out.

Did anyone else's DC do this? When did they start walking on their own? :)

Thanks so much everyone!! She has her 15 month check up on the 23rd so if she's still not walking I'll bring it up then. :) Thanks sooo much!!

My dear,my daughter began walking 1 week before her first birthday.My son,on the other hand,began walking at 17 months.Every child develops differently and she'll walk when she feels ready.Hey..dont rush it,when she does start taking steps she'll be getting into everything...lol.Enjoy it while you can!!! F..

My son started walking at 14 months, and a friend of mine had a son that didn't walk until he was 16 months. It can be very frustrating to wait it out, especially when it seems like everyone else's children walk at 9 months! You could always schedule a visit to her pediatrician to just make sure everything is ok and that she's just taking her time.

I had 1 walking at 9mths, one at 16mths, and 1 at 12mths. They say don't worry until they're 18mths. My middle child was in Early intervention for speech, and they said they don't usually even evaluate for problems with walking until they're 18mths. So, don't worry too much, and give her a few more months. #2 was showing no interest at all whatsoever of walking when he was 15mths, then all of a sudden right after he turned 16mths, he took his first real steps.

If you have doubts, ask your pediatrician. My child was walking at 11 months

I know most moms will disagree with my suggestion. Both of my children walked early and I think it was from using the walker. Many docs say that there is no link between a walker and walking but in the walker they get to "test out" walking without falling down. It may be a coincidence but that is my belief.

My son took his first unassisted step (and I mean step, not steps) at 13 months. But, then he showed no further interest in walking until 14 months. I thought that was late, but he's fine! He's two now (turned two in February). People have always been amazed at his verbal abilities (especially for a boy), and he's also very smart for his age (knows all his colors and can count to 14 by himself). He's very good with his fine motor skills and verbally, but his gross motor skills (crawling, walking, now going down slides, etc.) have been a little slower than some children his age. I just think children develop their skills at different rates, but in the end they all usually catch up. Certainly if you're ever worried, I would talk to your child's pediatrician. But, I've found after having baby #2 and being around more and more babies and toddlers, that we all just worry too much! ;) I wish you the best. And, trust me, I wanted my son to walk so badly ... then now I wish I could get him to sit down for just a minute! ;)

S. -
My son was around 17 months old when he started walking and I haven't been able to catch him yet! I highly recommend you sit back and enjoy it for as long as you can :)

My daughter is only a month old...so I can't speak from experience...but, if your insurance allows, maybe you should just take her in just in case...it would at least help put your mind at ease. Not saying anything is wrong...but it might help you feel better about it...

I have a daughter just over 2yo and she didn't walk until about 14 or 15 months old. We knew she had the balance and the strength, but she had no desire. Parents would carry her & big brothers would bring her what she wanted. Crawling was just fine. If you don't think she has the balance or the muscle tone, I would consult a physician, but otherwise, she'll walk when she's ready.

1 / 3