When Did You Stop Using a High Chair and Bibs?

My son is 15 months old and we still use a high chair and bib at feeding time. My hubby and I are trying to decide when to switch to a booster seat and stop using a bib. I'm sure it's all personal preference but any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated!

Well, as you said, it's all personal preference. I stopped using the bibs when my kids became neater eaters---somewhere in their late two's or early three's, if I remember correctly! They make bibs designed just for toddlers---like towels with a hole for the head. The high chair? I think when we got tired of the space it took up in the kitchen.

My daughter is 14 months old and we stopped using bibs a few months ago because she could take them off herself. She wouldn't keep them on, she'd rip them off every time we tried to put one on. If your son is tolerating them, I'd say use them as long as possible to preserve his clothes! My sitter suggested using an old, oversized child's t-shirt instead of a bib. I went to Ross and bought the cheapest toddler size 4 and 5 t-shirts I can find, and we've been using those as bibs. My daughter can't take them off by herself, and sometimes she even likes to run around the house with them still on over her clothes.

We have both the booster seat and the high chair, and we've been using the high chair because my daughter seems to prefer it, although she won't keep the tray on. She pushes it off with her feet. So we've been talking about switching to the booster seat soon. I think for right now, she prefers being up higher in the high chair. My cousin never used a high chair, they always used the portable booster seat with their daughter. Good luck!

my 21 month old still uses her high chair (we have a fisher price space saver high chair/booster). she will sit in the high chair just fine or sometimes she sits on a chair at the table. as far as bibs go we rarely use them because she does pretty good self feeding (we sometimes use them for messy foods). just do what you think is right. if you want a booster seat get one. good luck!

my 5 year-old was in his high chair until a few months ago when his baby brother displaced him. Up until that point and even today, he still fits in it - we used it because unfortunately, we don't have an eating area in our kitchen and we have to use our formal dining set in our dining room for all meals, and I didn't want him getting the upholstered chairs dirty, not to mention he's still sitting very low in the adult chairs.

He used it without the tray and safety straps though, of course.

I think we retired the bibs somewhere between 18 months and 2 years old.

Hi C.-
I know you have got alot of respenses.. We still use the high chair at times when my son (who will be 3 in April) wants to play and wonder during meal times. We tell him if he gets up one more time he will sit in the high chair. Sometimes this works and he wont get up anymore, but sometimes he will keep getting up, so in the chair he goes.. I dont want him to think its ok to play during meal time.. its all up to the littles ones and how they respond to the booster seats..

Honestly, we didn't take the highchair out until my son was three. We took the tray off when he was around two and just pulled the seat up to the table. It was so easy and he liked it. Bibs went when he refused to wear them anymore...I think that was a little before two.

-M

yes it depends on the kid. My daughter is 22 mos. and uses a booster seat w/ a belt. (and has been for a long time) I dont want her getting out of her chair when ever she wants to. Plus, I can belt her in w/ some paper and crayons while I am making dinner and I don't have to worry about where she might be. As far as bibs go- She rarely uses one-unless she is eating something messy, and it's the start oif the day-like yougart or oatmeal for breakfast. But, she is really good at using silverware-I think better than her 7 yr old brother, he'd rather use his fingers.

We used a high chair for my daughter and we stopped using it when she was somewhere close to 2. Once she became big enough to start climbing out, we nixed it and got her a booster seat. Plus, she was old enough by then that she could climb into the chair at the table by herself pretty well. For our son, who is 15 months as well, we have always used a Space Saver seat for him. We'll probably use it maybe 6 more months, he'll outgrow it pretty soon I'm sure.

As for bibs, my daughter is 3 1/2 now and we use one on her occasionally. Same with my son. Occasionally to rarely ever. Unless it's something that I know will be really messy.

Just go with the flow and like you said, it's all personal preference. I'm sure your son will clue you in soon enough when he's ready to move on from the high chair too.

-Char

1 / 3