When Claritin and Zyrtec Don't Work, Try (You Tell Me)...

I RARELY have issues with my allergies as long as I'm in Texas. However, I'm now on day 4 of pretty miserable allergies. Nothing serious, just the runny nose and sneezing. Highly annoying more than anything.

Historically, Claritin has solved my once a year issue. it's not working and neither is Zyrtec.

I can't take Benadryl without going home and sleeping for 4-6 hours.

Any other suggestions for something OTC?

TIA!

Allegra it is! I forgot to mention I can't take anything with a D in it. It makes me LOOPY and in my job, that would NOT be good. :)

Local honey. You can get it at Sprouts, Central Market, or Whole Foods. Take 1 - 2 tablespoons a day, you will be amazed at the difference it makes. It's like an oral allergy shot.

My son was on prescription allegra 2x a day (and they were 24hr pills) and still miserable. We started taking honey and in a couple of weeks were off the allegra completely.

Get in for a prescription med if Allegra doesn't work. I used Rhinocort spray for a couple years and it worked wonders when nothing else did.

Try a neti-pot or the bulb nasal rinse system. That works for me when it is just sneezing/runny nose, with no side effects. I had an allergy doctor recommend it because he said my "allergies" were actually irritation, and that was a reason the medicine was not helping. Basically you rinse your sinuses with a salt water solution once or twice a day.

thinking about it, I have to get a new bulb and start again...

My only suggestion is that if you have season allergies every year around this time that you start Allegra around Sept 1 and continue it throughout October. It's all you should need.

Feel better - I feel your pain. I take Allegra all year long.

Allegra gets my vote too. They make it without the "D". :)

OPC3. Works wonders on allergies. Here's a link where you can check it out. It will supercharge your immune system and you will feel great.
:)

http://bit.ly/r3uZMc

Well Zyrtec takes a while to work. It has to build up in your system to be most effective. Having said that, I tried Clariten and Zyrtec for my daughter and Allegra is the only thing that has ever worked for her.

The "D" is for Pseudoephedrine content.

There are only a few other options... Phenylphrine (in Claritin or "new" Sudafed), Fexophenidine (Allegra), and Cetirizine (Zyrtec) for non-drowsy allergy relief.

I've always used the Allegra D (containing Fexophenidine and Pseudoephedrine). However, Pseudoephedrine is a form of speed so I understand that there are some out there that cannot take it.

My daughters allergist reccomends organic local honey. Not the homogenized store bought kind.
Bees collect pollen in your area - the very pollen you are allergic to. They make honey out of it. It is a natural vaccine against allergies. That's all an allergist gives you in the weekly shots, a small dose of what you are allergic to so that over time your body learns to recognize it and stops treating it like an attack. Use it in place of other sweeteners in coffee on cereal, in tea, on fruit, just incorporate organic loacl honey.

Call the doctor and getting something prescription.

Allegra. It works for me when those two don't.

Allegra. My daughter got an ear infection because Zyrtec wasn't working. (all the "goo" backed up into her ear). They increased the dosage and it still didn't work, so they changed to Allegra. And it seems to work well. She has to take it more often (twice per day), but it works faster than zyrtec/claritin and doesn't seem to make her drowsy.

Mine have been really bad too, I take Zyrtec at night and then Singular and Flonaise in the morning. Obviously the Zrytec is the only OTC one but maybe you could do the Allegra in the morning and the Zyrtec at night. You may even try the Nedi Pot (you can google it). That is OTC, cleans out your sinuses and is really, really good. Good luck

I've had allergies in my life, getting better as I got older. The OTC drugs like Claritin never worked very well for me. What works the best for me is a nasal steroid spray like Flonase or Vancanase. There are many out there under different names. They are by prescription so you'd have to see a doctor. Its a low-dose steroid and can be used long-term. For me, I had no side affects and works very well. I really recommend it. Good Luck.

I second/third the local honey suggestion. My daughter is on a special diet for immune system illnesses and the only sweetener I can use in her food is honey. I get local honey, but didn't get it because of allergies - I just wanted to support local beekeepers. I wasn't expecting my allergies or my daughter's to almost disappear. We both took allergy medication daily each fall and spring, but we haven't taken any pills in 18 months. I do occasionally still feel like I'm having very mild allergies (e.g. dust when I clean the house), but not the kind that forces me into bed for days like the horrible eye watering mess I used to experience. Hope the Allegra works for you!

My son has been so bad the last few days too. Those dont work for him either. I started him on allegra and it seems to be helping but don't take it with juice if any kind! It reduces the effectiveness!

Sudafed.... I think it's D. The one you get through the pharmacy. It will clear it all up.