When Claritin and Zyrtec Don't Work, Try (You Tell Me)...

I RARELY have issues with my allergies as long as I'm in Texas. However, I'm now on day 4 of pretty miserable allergies. Nothing serious, just the runny nose and sneezing. Highly annoying more than anything.

Historically, Claritin has solved my once a year issue. it's not working and neither is Zyrtec.

I can't take Benadryl without going home and sleeping for 4-6 hours.

Any other suggestions for something OTC?

TIA!

Allegra it is! I forgot to mention I can't take anything with a D in it. It makes me LOOPY and in my job, that would NOT be good. :)

Local honey. You can get it at Sprouts, Central Market, or Whole Foods. Take 1 - 2 tablespoons a day, you will be amazed at the difference it makes. It's like an oral allergy shot.

My son was on prescription allegra 2x a day (and they were 24hr pills) and still miserable. We started taking honey and in a couple of weeks were off the allegra completely.

Get in for a prescription med if Allegra doesn't work. I used Rhinocort spray for a couple years and it worked wonders when nothing else did.

Try a neti-pot or the bulb nasal rinse system. That works for me when it is just sneezing/runny nose, with no side effects. I had an allergy doctor recommend it because he said my "allergies" were actually irritation, and that was a reason the medicine was not helping. Basically you rinse your sinuses with a salt water solution once or twice a day.

thinking about it, I have to get a new bulb and start again...

My only suggestion is that if you have season allergies every year around this time that you start Allegra around Sept 1 and continue it throughout October. It's all you should need.

Feel better - I feel your pain. I take Allegra all year long.

Allegra gets my vote too. They make it without the "D". :)

OPC3. Works wonders on allergies. Here's a link where you can check it out. It will supercharge your immune system and you will feel great.
:)

http://bit.ly/r3uZMc

Well Zyrtec takes a while to work. It has to build up in your system to be most effective. Having said that, I tried Clariten and Zyrtec for my daughter and Allegra is the only thing that has ever worked for her.

The "D" is for Pseudoephedrine content.

There are only a few other options... Phenylphrine (in Claritin or "new" Sudafed), Fexophenidine (Allegra), and Cetirizine (Zyrtec) for non-drowsy allergy relief.

I've always used the Allegra D (containing Fexophenidine and Pseudoephedrine). However, Pseudoephedrine is a form of speed so I understand that there are some out there that cannot take it.

1 / 3