When Can Toddlers Start Eating Peanut Butter?

I keep hearing mixed feedback on when toddlers can start eating peanut butter. Haven't phoned my pediatrician yet, but I recall during the last appointment the nurse mentioned they upped the age to 6 yrs old (which sounds ridiculous?). But then I have friends who feed their 20 month old peanut/jelly sandwhiches, others who say it's ok by 2years old, and so I'm confused with all this conflicting information. Ironically, my 21 month old was given peanuts one day by accident and she was fine. Also I give her other nuts all the time (walnuts, almonds, etc.) Thanks!

I hear the same thing. My ped told me to wait until he was 3. I did not. He got into the peanut butter after my daughter left it out. He was fine. At his next appt. I told her and she said since he did not have an adverse reaction it was fine. I think it's something that is really hard to judge. I've read "wait until they're older". Then I've read "Studies show delaying the addition of peanut increases the chances of an allergy". You are definetly correct in saying there is a lot of conflicting info. I would say if she's had some before w/out a problem she should be fine. Good luck!

My understanding is that tree nuts and peanuts should not be introduced until age 2. For children with other I know moms who have fed their kids nuts earlier and they were fine.

When our son was at his 12 month appointment, I mentioned that I'd given him some peanut butter, and the pediatrician asked me to hold off 3 more months.

2 years later, at our daughter's 12 month appointment, I mentioned that I'd been holding off on peanut butter, and the same pediatrician said he'd changed his mind based upon the updated policy from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP.org).

He said they don't associate allergies with an age now, and that feeding should be done based upon choking hazards more than risk of allergy. That being said, he said to do it in small quantities to make sure there was not a reaction.

Our pediatrician has 3 young boys (all 4 and under), and we regard his advice highly as he's going through the same things we are and really keeps up on professional recommendations.

We've given both of our kids peanut butter regularly since they were 12 months.

I'd check with your pediatrician to verify their feelings. But, I'd also check AAP's website (you can also google "American Academy of Pediatrics" and infant feeding to see if you can find any advice one way or another).

Hi there. ;-) I have four children ranging in ages from 2-16 yrs. I have seen the many "food fads" and such come and go with feeding babies and I stuck with the traditional rule of one year. At the age of one their digestive tracts are developed enough to introduce these new foods. The fear of allergies is when it is less developed in younger ages and why many pediatricians don't recommend starign your baby on solids too early. Peanuts, egg whites, honey and pretty much anything else is fine after one year of age. None of my kids had any problem with any of these foods and it sounds like you little one handled it fine. I hope that helps you! ;-)

I think I can answer this for you. When my 8 yr old was little they swore not until they are two. I now have a 2 yr old and a 16mo. old. I started the 2 yr old at 18 mo and the baby at 14 mo. Both of them were at my pediatricians approval. The only comment the Ped had was feed it to them all by its self to make absolutely sure they are not allergic and if they are not feed it to them how ever you want. If it makes you feel better ask your ped. but I fxeel when they canmaster table food they can handle it. hope this helps.

I gave my daughter peanut butter at 12 months , her ped said that if they have an allergy then they have an allergy , waiting until they are older won't stop that.

i waited until mine was 2 but i have no family history of food allergy. what scientists don't know about allergy/immunology is astounding.

My pediatrician is pretty old school, and he said anytime after 1 year of age is fine. He suggested the only time to really be concerned about it is if there is anyone in your family who does have an allergy to peanuts, than you may want to wait until the child is older and communicate more. Waiting isn't going to to stop the allergic reaction. Typically your peanut and shellfish allergies manifest through a respiratory reaction not the typical rash you see with other foods. You would want your child to be able to communicate with you that their throat is starting to feel funny, otherwise your only indication that your child is having a reaction would be when they begin having trouble with breathing. That explanation made complete sense to me. I started giving my daughter peanut butter right around age 1 and she was fine.

My son started eating peanut butter before he was a year old. But its something thats always happened with my family. My mom's a nurse so she did what she did.

Most people recommend you wait until they are atleast over a year, some say 2 years. I wouldn't/couldn't hold off on giving my kiddo peanut butter until he was 6 because I'm addicted to peanut butter.

I know the only thing that has had guidelines changed from 2 to 6 years old is cough and cold medicine. But if you give your toddler other nuts I don't see what the problem with giving them peanut butter is.

1 / 3