When Can My One Year Old Have Peanut Butter?

My son is 14 months old; the nurse in his peds office said he couldn't have shellfish and peanut butter until at least 2 years old. The ped wasn't available, so I only have her info to go on. What were you told? According to the internet, people were told to wait for a while, but "it" was changed as long as there isn't a history of food allergies in your family. I am not really sure what to think.... help : )

I started giving my son peanut butter at around one. I would give him peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with a VERY thin layer of peanut butter (because of the choking issue). I think his dad has given him shellfish (I hate all fish with a passion so they eat it when I'm not around). We have no family history of food allergies and I tend to be a worrier so I decided I just wasn't going to believe in food allergies (okay not really, but sort of) because if I did I would drive myself crazy. (I've heard of people feeding their kids peanut butter for the first few times in the hospital parking lot. I didn't but it is a thought.)

Peanut butter yes, is not recommended until at LEAST age two because of the allergy associated with it. However, peanut butter is a choking hazard. Do you know that? Please be careful when using peanut butter on a young child. I did not begin introducing peanut butter with any of my children until they were at least 3 or 4 and when I did, I smeared the thinnest layer of peanut butter on a cracker or slice of bread.

All of the advice you've received so far is very out of date based upon current policies and recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Current thought is that withholding foods such as nuts may actually cause the development of an allergy.

With our son (almost 4), we were told to wait until 15 months (when we admitted to giving him peanut butter at 12 months).
Our daughter just turned 2, and when we asked at her 12 month appointment, the pediatrician (who has 3 boys under the age of 5 himself) said that it the recommendations had changed.

Current AAP policy: children can have ANY foods as long as they're not a choking hazard and there is no known food allergy in the family. You should still introduce new foods slowly to identify possible allergies.

That being said, your pediatrician may not closely follow AAP recommendations, so I'd still run it by them. But, current scientific research actually goes against all the advice from the other moms. Sorry.

Peanut and shellfish allergies can be REALLY bad reactions! I was told to wait until 2 before I introduced it and its a good thing I did wait! We ended up having both of my sons tested for allergies (can't remember why) and it turns out they were deathly allergic to peanuts!!! It could have killed them at age 1. They did grow out of it by 2 or 3, but the fact is that many kids have allergies early and grow out of them within a few years.

PS - no one in my family or my husbands family is allergic to any types of foods!

I subscribe to this newsletter and here's the info I got back in April 2009 regarding this subject:

1. When should baby try high-allergenic foods?
>>
>> Researchers have found some
>> evidence that EARLIER introduction to high-allergy foods (like peanut
>> products) may actually REDUCE the risk of having a food allergy. This is
>> the exact opposite of what has been accepted wisdom for many years!
>>
>> Based on this, the American Academy of Pediatrics Nutrition Committee has
>> changed their recommendations. They now say that infants over six months
>> of age can try a variety of foods such as seafood, shellfish, eggs, peanut
>> products, and nut products.
>>
>> Wow-that is a major change. We do suggest you discuss this with your
>> baby's doc as she may have her own opinions and suggestions based on your
>> child and family's health history. And, remember to only offer one new
>> food every few days so you can identify which food is a problem, if there
>> is one.
>>
>> Note: Honey is still taboo until after one year of age. It's the botulism
>> risk, not a food allergy that makes it off limits.
>>

I'm from Israel, and a lot of the new studies are based on israel's introduction methods. One of the countries staple foods is called Bamba. It's like a peanutbutter flavored puff, and is generally one of the first foods given to children when they start solids. Incidently, Israel has one of the worlds lowest rates of peanut allergies. These findings led to the current studies and changed the American recommendations.

My son is 14 months. I waited until he turned one to give him peanutbutter, and even after hearing all this I was still nervous, so I understand where you're comming from. My son was fine, no allergy. Good luck and congrats on your little one.

Nut allergies can be very bad, so most recommend to wait until after 2 when their bodies are a little more mature. I waited.

Our doctor said one year but I waited till she was old enough to talk. That way if she had a reaction, she could tell me.

I was told one year and both kids started then. I'm not overly concerned about peanuts.

I started given my son peanut butter around 8 or 9 months. Our pediatrician told us that we should not worry about waiting to introduce any food beside honey (1 year). The only thing I worried about was the possibility of choking, so I spread peanut butter very thinly and watched him carefully while he ate it. We also gave him shrimp before he was 2, and he loves them.

1 / 3