When Can I Use a Blanket in the Crib?

My son is 7months old. On these cold nights, I always wonder if he is cold. I am scared to put a blanket with him in fear of suffocation. When can I start adding a blanket to the crib?

Try getting a sleep sack to put him in. it is a wearable blanket that you don't have to worry about suffocation. I loved them when my daughter was small.

Have you ever seen a "Sleep Sack"? They are a fleece or cotton "bag" that zip up the front and covers their body, feet and legs, but has holes for the arms like a sleeveless shirt. You can put a long sleeve onesie on to cover his arms and the bag will cover the rest. They are very warm and cozy!

I didn't put a blanket in the crib until well after a year old, and then it was only a thin one. I felt the same way, but the pediatrician was VERY against blankets or anything else in the crib. So, I dressed my son in long sleeve/pants pajamas plus socks. They never stay covered up anyway.

My kids have all (I have 4) always slept with a blanket. They each have their favorite kind. Most like the sweater type. Definitely not the fleece. None of them liked those. Pick one that has an open weave with lots of small holes in it. Even if he does get it over his head, he'll have plenty of space to breathe.
At 7 months he can roll over easily and turn his head and wriggle around. The real threat of suffocation is when they're smaller and unable to free themselves if they get caught between pillows or bumper pad, etc.
You can even start out with one of those really small blankets until you see how he does with it.

I have never used a blanket with the girs in the crib because it would just get all tangled up with as much as they move around. And the last thing I want is to have them wake up. I have always used a blanket sleeper. the fleece ones with feet. I buy it a little big and layer them with a onesie and pajama bottoms or regular pjs. I ever have put socks on them too if it was going to be very cold. I would stay away from a blanket. My friend would use one for her daughter but still not dress her warm and she still woke up bacause they can't keep a blanket on them and definetly can't pull it back over them if they get cold. go with layering and a sleeper.

Hi D.: By this age they are well aware if something's over their head. That is a natural instinct that begins early on as an infant even. Try playing the peek a boo game with a small blanket and put it over his head and see how long it takes him to react and pull it off. Not only would a blanket provide warmth but comfort. Seems very cold to me to be in a space without anything to snuggle with. However, i did buy a specific blanket because I wanted something light in weight (not some big bulky thing) yet something warm. I buy goose down comforters in a light to medium weight for the winter and they work wonders!!! I found that the kids were sleeping better (sounder sleep and sleeping longer) because they were comfortable and warm. I hope this helps and have a blessed day.

I'm a mom in my 40's and having 4 kids of my own ages 12, 10, 5 and 2 and am a business owner here in Jacksonville.

I cant recall when i started putting a blanket in my sons crib, but I can sugest the sleeper gowns that compleately cover everythin from the neck over the toes. I feel its the safest way and you wont loose sleep over it.

my baby will be 23 in september. Instead of blankets, get warmer PJs

We found that ours would kick the blanket off her no matter what, so we use blanket sleepers and under them on cold nights, a onesie and socks.

1 / 3