When Baby Is a Surprise Gender....

So we have a boy and a girl, so for this #3 baby, we aren't finding out. It has been SO much fun, and we are really excited for the extra anticipation in the delivery room. But last week when I went through and organized all of my newborn clothes I have saved, there are quite a few "holes" in each wardrobe. If it's a boy, I need more sleepers, socks and pants. If it's a girl, I need onesies and socks. It's not a ton, but just a few things. So I'm just wondering what you moms recommend...should I go ahead NOW and just buy what I need and plan to return what I don't need? Or should I wait and try to get to the store after the baby arrives? It's kind of a dumb question, but I'm just curious as to what YOU have done and what worked easier all around?

PS...I am 34 weeks now, so it's coming up!!! :)

Hi mommy-

My first child was 'supposed' to be a girl...On every ultra sound they said so...and I believed. I had an entire wardrobe for a girl...NOT a neutral item to be had...lol

I sent my mom shopping for my son...lol While I recovered from the emergency c section...and the SHOCK that 'he' was not a 'she'!

Best Luck!

We have always waited to find out baby's gender after the birth. We ended up with three boys and three girls (and one I don't know what?? due in January). I've never dressed my babies in baby blue and pastel pink. Green, yellow, cream, white. Red, orange.

I would buy neutral colors and be set for either gender.

Then again, you are talking to a Mom who also dressed her little boys in the same white dresses as her little girls (and, yes, two of the boys DID come first), because it's just easier. Hey, the Victorians did it! :)

For the first few weeks my babies only wore white onsies from Carter's inside a swaddle blanket. You can get either short sleeves or long sleeves from BabiesRUs. I would get a bunch of those and then you should have some time to either shop online or make a trip to the store to fill in the rest.

I started with 3 girls (never knew the gender, either...), and when the boy came around, he still wore the pink sleepers and such at night... heck, I had them, and I didn't really care what color they were!

Around home, it doesn't really matter if a boy is wearing a "flowery" onsie... it isn't that big of a deal. Save the "boy" outfits for when you take him out, or if someone is coming to visit.

Just use what you have on hand, because I'm sure you will get plenty of gifts after the baby is born.

As others have said, if you need to fill in a few gaps, make them gender neutral.

if you just have to fill in the gaps for each gender be neutral....white socks....yellow sleepers? i mean seriously how long is baby going to be in new born sizes anyway? like a week or two right lol....

i would fill in neutral and wait for baby to grow to fill in the other sizes once you know babies gender....

Either way you have to go to the store - either to buy or to return. I think buying is less hassle, so I would wait.

I would wait. I'm the type who will save the receipt, keep the tags on, and even bag the stuff I intend to take back, and then never do it. Three years later, there are the clothes in a bag and it's too late to return them.
You'll probably also have people bringing gifts over after baby is born who wanted to wait and find out what gender you had before they shopped. Then if you still have gaps in wardrobes, you can use any gift cards you received and shop your heart out!
Congrats and enjoy the surprize moment!

Hi mommy-

Best Luck!

I would buy non-gender specific basic items, like white onesies and white socks, just enough to get you through until you are up to going shopping after the baby arrives. Plus, I'm betting you will get a ton of clothes once the baby is born cuz everyone will think you need something gender specific since you didn't know beforehand.

GL and congrats!!!!

We did the same thing with our third. Since we had most of the essentials from the other babies( we had clothes to bring him home in) we just went shopping after the birth. It was fun we could pick out things that fit his personality :).

Buy neutrals and save your receipts!

1 / 3