When Are Internal Exams During Pregnancy?

I am 20 weeks pregnant. So far, the only internal exam I've had by my OB was during my 1st prenatal visit. I can't recall from my first pregnancy when additional internal exams are performed (other than right at the end). Does anyone know?

L.,
I am also 20 weeks this week! Due Sept. 30th. We must be very close to each other. Anyway, I'm seeing midwives at Methodist. They only did a vaginal exam at the beginning because I had some symptoms of a bacterial infection (which I did in fact have), but they would have held off even on that because I had had a pap smear within the year. They said they won't do one again until 36 weeks now. Seems to be what happened with me my last pregnancy too. Anyway, no one wants to be up in stirrups any more than necessary, right? :)
Best of luck to you!!!
A. K

some providers will check you at mid pregnancy- around 20 weeks. others will not start until 34 weeks. good luck with the new baby

With my first child they did internal exams at every visit. With my last child who was born 2 months ago, they didn't do them until the last month when I started going weekly.

I am about 21 weeks and I haven't had any internal exams either. They did do a quad screening with me by taking my blood, but nothing else.

You don't need any...ever. If you want one when you feel you're ready to push, fine, but otherwise they are pointless and can lead to problems.

By internal exam do you mean vaginal ultrisound? If so, I only had one of those. If you mean when the doctor looks at you, I think only three or four, unless they suspect a problem. You could refer to the "What to Expect When You're Expecting" book...that might say.

L.,

After the initial visit, I never had any until just right at the end.

I don't think you usually get an internal exam other than the ones you already know about.

I am 36 1/2 weeks pregnant and have my 1st of 3 internal exams scheduled for today. Up until now, it's just been visiting w/ the doctor, geting measured, peeing in a cup, listening to the heartbeat, and non-stress tests. I did have a pap smear at my very first appt. so I wouldn't have to mess w/ that for another year. And I did have the Strep B test at my appt. last week. But as far as the official 'internal exams'...they don't start til today for me. Hope this helps! GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTYHING!

With my son it was just the first visit and then again at 36 and 37 weeks, I delivered later that week. With this one it was the first visit and now I just switched OB's (we moved) and she just did one at 20 weeks, which I was surprised at. She said not again until 36 wks unless there are problems of course.

not til the end as dr's don't want the chance of introducing any bacteria into the vagina....and you may not be checked at all if a c is scheduled

If everything's normal, I believe most obs only check at the first visit and then at the very end, near your due date.

I had just had a pap smear before I got pregnant, so I didn't have an internal exam until the very end, like 34 or 35 weeks, when we tested for Strep B.

IMO, vaginal exams are unnecessary and often, at the end, just make a woman anxious. (I have had eleven children...) I have been checked at 32 weeks (with twins) and found I was 2cm, put on bed rest for 4 weeks and then didn't deliver until 39 weeks. I have been told at 37 weeks that I was at 3cm. and "could go anytime", only to be a week past the due date. When you are told you are at 3, that makes 4 weeks seem VERY long. If I had not known that, I don't think it would have been half as bad to wait!

L.,
Best of luck to you!!!
A. K

i didnt have any internals except the first one and then the last few weeks