Wheat, Dairy, and Egg Free Diet

My nephew, 4 years old, who has been fighting different allergies his whole life, has now been told to go wheat, dairy and egg free. Basically, these are all his favorite foods! So now my sister in law needs help changing how she prepares foods for her son. Does anyone have any good resources for this type of diet (cookbooks, websites, etc)? The only natural food store in town is very expensive, so will have to be used sparingly. This is going to be a big adjustment, but everyone hopes it helps!

There are alternatives for cooking - we shop at Sprouts in the greater Phoenix area. Pasta - rice based, or Quinoa; dairy substitutes - Earth Balance butter - soy/lactose free, Hemp milk or Rice Dream, egg substitutes - use Flax or Bob's Red Mill egg replacer, flaxmeal & the store has other gluten-free items. L.

Because casein and dairy are such a common ingredients in our foods, going totally dairy free is tough. You might ask "what is the offending part?" of dairy for the child. There is talk of the A1 or A2 genes in common dairy cows that might make a difference. (Australia research most recent.)(Very common Holstein cows have the more offensive gene and thus milk...whereas Jersey cows do not.) Is it the protein of the milk, or the lactose? Or something else. Some folks have done well with raw dairy over common processed dairy.

Hi D.!
My kids are completely grain free and beet, cane and grain sugar free too. I have helped lots of moms with recipes for their kids that can't have wheat, dairy and eggs. I'd be happy to help you in any way that I can. I am the author of "The Truly Grain-Free Cookbook: Beet and Cane Sugar Free Too!" The ISBN # is: 1-60563-263-5 My website is.... www.freewebs.com/trulygrainfree Most of my recipes that do use dairy can be substituted and work just fine without the dairy. Often times if I am out of milk, I will use apple juice in place of the milk in my recipes. Also, To replace one egg:
1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
3 tablespoons water (or other liquid)

Stir together until thick and gelatinous.

If she is in Arizona, I can give her some tips to find better priced health food as well.

Also, when making recipes that call for butter, she can use "Nucoa" it is a dairy free margarine.

We are a nearly vegan household, so do most of our cooking and baking without egg and dairy. Most any vegan cookbook or website will be helpful. We like Vegan Family Favorites by Erin Pavlina, Vegan Lunch Box by Jennifer McCann, and cookbooks by Dreena Burton and Sarah Kramer. And http://kidsarevegantoo.blogspot.com/

When cooking and baking, eggs can be replaced with Ener-G, fruit purees, tofu, or ground flax seeds mixed with water. Wheat flour can be replaced with an alternate flour - rice, barley, etc. Sprouts offers a fair amount of gluten-free pre-made products (cookies, breads, cake mixes, etc).

After some time of practice and getting used to slightly new things, he will still love those favorites - my family hardly notices when I cook or bake vegan. It's delicious!

The trickiest part is eating out and at other people's homes. But they will soon learn where to go and what to ask for, as well as what to bring. :)

That is really tough on your nephew. I don't have a lot of websites to give ya, but I do know they are out there if you want to research a bit. Here is a link to my friend's blog. http://jovia-life.blogspot.com/2009/09/gluten-free-pizza.... She mades soap, but she also revamps gluten free recipes to taste better. I thought he might like pizza. But you will have to find other resources on the dairy free. Sorry.

Is he allegic to the whole egg or just part of it. I know some allegic to the yolk while I myself cannot tolerate the white. So I cook without the white, but mostly do without it.

Same with the dairy, find out which he is allegic too, because a lot of foods have the milk protein casen among others.

Hi, I ma a dietitian and have some resources to share, savorypalate.com and any books by Carol Fenster PhD. she is a wonderful resource she actually extensively tests the recipes and offers cook books for everyday foods and celebration foods. also there is a newsletter I get by a allergy association that has all kids of tips and resources its called FAAN. http://www.foodallergy.org/ A.

That is basically how I grew up. There are tons of grains other than wheat. My mom used to get me soy bread and put almond butter on it (instead of pnut butter). There are tons of alternatives to dairy... rice milk, almond milk (which you can make yourself). And eggs are no big deal. I forgot what else you can use in place of egg when making a cake or muffin. And the internet makes this much easier than when I was growing up. Is there a Sunflower mkt or Sprouts nearby? Those are cheaper and have lots of natural foods. This is a place my mom used to order things from too that is really good. They have alternate flours and goodies called Jaffe bros:

http://organicfruitsandnuts.com/

you just have to get creative which is fun and you'll actually be eating much more interesting food than anyone else.

Check Yahoo Groups for gfcf near you. If you have a Sprouts, Whole Foods Store or even Trader Joe's, that can help too. They should be able to help you in the store to figure out what you need.

Some grocery stores carry Rice Flour Pizza Dough, Frozen Pizzas, and noodles/spaghetti and waffles too.

Any dairy product that says casein is cow's milk. That includes soy cheese. So read all labels carefully. Ask the allergist for a list of products that can be worded differently than wheat, milk, and egg.

Egg free substitute is the Ener-g Egg Replacer.

Good luck! There's tons of websites out there to help u.

1 / 3