Whats the Most Effective Form of Discipline for Ages 3 and 4?

I have no idea how to discipline my kids when they do something bad. Well, I don't know how to do it so that they learn? ANY ideas?

I put my kids in time out for a minute per age...
I watch Super Nanny on channel 5 on wednesdays.
i get a lot of ideas from that show, get tips on parenting!

Consistancy is the key...whichever method you choose, stick to it! Parenting is a tough job, but well worth the effort. They will come around eventually. Good luck!

"Toy time out" Put the toy that they are not playing with correctly and choose something else for them to play with.

"Time In" When your child is misbehaving over and over keep them closer to help them to be successful.

"Redirection" When they are not being appropriate give them a directive as to what you ant them to do. Not what you want them to stop doing (example intead of stop running say "walk" in a firm voice)

"Practice sessions" When you have a repeat offender you help your child practice, about 3-4 times what you want them to do. (example: help them to pick up some of their their toys, put them on the floor and then do it again until they get it.)

When it's not disciplin time, be Silly and have fun with them to make it easier for them to tollerate such a firm in charge parent. Think about it we dont like our bosses when they are all buisness all the time.
R.

Try 1-2-3 Magic Parenting Book by Thomas W. Phelan, Ph.D. This is the method of discipline in which you calmly give "time outs" instead of yelling and fighting with your child. One main idea is that you can't discipline your child if you get angry and out of control yourself. It's not easy and it doesn't work over night, but it works. I have a 6 y.o. and a 9 y.o and we have been using this method for four years.
Also, watch the Super Nanny show on ABC. She suggests younger kids kids sit in a "naughty spot" if they misbehave. My sister uses this method with her three very active boys ages 20 months, 4 y.o. and 6 y.o.

C.-

Go to your public library and check out either the book or DVD of 1, 2, 3 Magic, it is great. Is a non-confrontational, non-yelling, non-arguing way to discipline your children. I have seen children totally turn around with this method. i got the book first and myself putting off reading it, but I got the DVD and watched, it is so far working with my 4 year old girl. Good luck!

I believe in positive reinforcement. That is what I use in my classroom and it works. Following through with what you say is important. I believe in giving the children choices if possible. However there are times when choices are not possible. If you ask the child to do or stop doing something several times and they continue, I believe in one last warning. For example: If you hit your sister one more time you will sit in time out and if the child hits again you follow through with sitting him/her in time out. Never say you will do something that you can't follow through with. If they know that you will always follow through with what you say there will be less need for them to test you and make the right choices. I hope this helps. : )

My daughter will be four in two weeks, and we found that time out never worked for her. She would only get more worked up, rather than use the time to calm down. Most of our discipline is logical consequences: for example, if you don't brush your teeth when I say to, you won't have time to read stories before bed. If you don't put your coat on, you will be cold. If you don't eat your dinner, you will be hungry later. You have to follow through with the consequences (and be prepared for some nasty looks from other parents who think you're giving your child pneumonia by letting her go without a coat) but for us, this works the best. We also pair it with tons of positive reinforcement and redirection, which work really well with our little girl.

Good luck to you! I think that like most of parenting, discipline is all about your "bag of tricks". The more tricks you have in your bag, the easier parenting is!

I'm still learning too. Friends of mine taught me, recently, an addition to the old "time out" form of discipline. Rather than having a chair in a corner for them to sit at, facing the wall, have no chair. Have them stand facing the wall, and have them place their hands against the wall. Pick a corner somewhere that is not visible to any fun, but close enough to the fun, that they can hear the fun, and want to get back. Set an alarm for a few minutes (time in minutes to their age, up to 5,as another mom suggested, is good). Let them know that they are to stay there until they hear the alarm. Check on them, to make sure the hands stay on the wall. My daughter has a tendency to pick at her scabs and fingers, for fun, so this really helps me so that she isn't encouraged to do ANYTHING while on time out. It may sound very "law enforcement" like, but it helps teach her how to follow instructions, as well as encourages her to stay alert to listen for specific sounds (the alarm). I also give her praise when she waits quietly, until the alarm sounds. It takes practice, but it has worked wonders for us.

1-2-3 Magic works great - and the schools use it too, so double reinforcement is great. However, I see alot of parents that count everything.. and that doesn't work.

We have a rule in my home "If you can't play with it right - you don't play with it at all" and I take the toy in question away for the day if my son was throwing it, banging it or something simular. However, I kept it in sight but out of reach (out of sight, out of mind.. and I wanted to reinforce by visual aid).

I use a lot of "If/Then". If you continue to do this, then I'm going to have to do that. But follow through is key (because if you don't, then you're saying "If you do this, then maybe I might do that". Always be prepared to follow through with what you say.

Above all - positive reinforcment! Instead of focusing on the bad - show your child you are noticing the GOOD they do. All children want their parents attention and if you shower them with TRUE positive reinforcement, it makes them more apt to do the positive. With two children, it's a bit easier, because if one is sitting still, and the other isn't - you can say "Wow - you're doing such a great job of sitting still. I'm proud of you." and your other child may turn around and do it too - and comment when they do :-)

Not saying I don't have problems with my son with disipline - he says I have too many rules.. :-)

I love the LOVE & LOGIC series... really - just fabulous... get the first book - Love and logic for the early years.

1 / 3