Whats the Difference in Blankets?

I was looking online and have had other new moms asak me what is the difference between a swaddling blanket and a receiving blanket...?
Also what is best to swaddle a baby with a blanket that is a square or a rectangle
A. E

A regular receiving blanket is usually too small for swaddling. Also, a swaddling blanket is cut differently. I would think a blanket more square would be better than a rectangle but that also depends on the size difference of the sides.

i agee with the first responder. I really like the cotton waffle weave blankets (usually a good deal at Kohl's), they are a bit stretchy to get a snug swaddle - always good. Congrats!

Receiving blanket- is just a piece of cloth. There are swaddlers that come with a pouch and velcro closers- they are the greatest! Best is Kiddopotamus- they have small and large and are only about $10 each. For blankets, the best are those stretchy, "waffle print" type ones.
Take it from me, I know swaddling- my little girl still enjoys being swaddled every night and she is 11 months old! It keeps her cozy and secure and nice and warm!

Swaddle blankets are larger than receiving blankets, making them easier to use for swaddling. They are also square which makes it easier since all sides are the same length. I like the swaddling blankets, as we were able to use them longer because of their size.

I'm pregnant with my second and just purchased some lightweight swaddling blankets on https://www.babysteals.com/

I haven't tried them, but they look like a blanket that I used with my first that was incredible!

Congrats!

I like swaddlers better. The regular receiving blanket becomes too small for swaddling in mere weeks and the swaddlers are available in larger sizes - until your little one doesn't need to be swaddled anymore (my first was over 6 months and my 2nd was about 3 months when they didn't want it anymore). Swaddlers have Velcro so they hold better - receiving blankets are too easy to kick out of.

We had 2 swaddle blankets and my daughter did not like being in them. They are specificly made for swaddling so you will not be able to use them once the baby has outgrown swaddling.

We just used the flannel receiving blankets to swaddle my daughter. I think most are rectangle and for me that worked best. You can use the receiving blankets for a much longer time, we still use ours and my daughter is two (on changing area, for play with dolls, keep in car to dry of playground slides if wet and so on).

I would get one swaddle blanket and reciving blankets and you can try both out and whatever works best for the parent(s) and child go with that.

I wasn't aware that there was actually a thing called a swaddling blanket--other than the swaddlers that are sold specifically for swaddling. All three of my kids liked to be swaddled, and for the first two, we just used regular blankets--either the waffle weave kind or the oversized flannel ones. But if your baby likes being swaddled, a product like the SwaddleMe is a great idea (there are tons of styles and brand names, but they're just designed to make the swaddling easier and hold together). We used it with our third, and it was a great thing to have around. But we also have a thousand receiving blankets--the smaller square flannel ones--and they've been used to swaddled baby dolls, catch spit-up, even wipe noses, long after there was a baby to wrap in them. So they're definitely useful as well and I'd sure recommend having at least a few handy!

Congratulations and good luck with everything!

1 / 3