What Would You Pay a Tutor?

Just been racking my brains for ways to help my family get some additional income...and I thought, well im a teacher, I have over 5 years experience as a middle school teacher, still am certified, just haven't been able to go back to being a full time teacher due to the fact my kids are still little and its just too expensive as far as childcare goes!
ANYHOW
I thought about tutoring! I am certified in Math and Science for Middle School and can go up to High School Algebra (possibly Calc if i looked through the book) and HS Bio/Chem/Physics (again i would have to look in the book).

What would you pay a tutor with my experience? I am going to make some flyers, post them around my very "family" oriented neighborhood, and was trying to get a general idea of what to charge. Any ideas on how to advertise? Any suggestions are welcome!

We are in the Plano/Allen Texas area.... Northern burb of Dallas.

Academic tutors are $50+ per hour
I pay $40 for 1/2 hr of private violin lessons
I pay $30 for 1/2 hr private tumbling for cheer

Most academic tutors are referred by local teachers and/or guidance counselors at the schools. Word of mouth is the way most are known.

Well, this past year we paid a professional tutor, to help my son pass his HS Algebra class, and we paid $55/per hour...2 hr a day, 2-3 days a week!

I thought that was extremely pricey...but we had no choice, he needed to pass that class to graduate! We did a lot of research and found that was the average going rate, in our area.

I used to pay my kids' tutor $40 per hour for help with middle and high school math and science, and thought that was a bargain!

** ADDING THIS: I might add, that my Daughter's Tutor, although she could charge more... and per her credentials & Master's Degree, she does not, because... she feels that Tutoring is to help kids. Not just to profit from it, monetarily. And not everyone can afford it, even though their child may need it very much.
She does not rely only on Tutoring for her income. She has a day job, too.
--------------------------------------

In my State... Tutors range in price from $30 to over $100 per hour.
To me, in the upper end of this pricing, this is overly priced... because Tutoring should be accessible to families/kids that need it.
Typically, they meet with the Tutor every week. This adds up cost wise.

My Daughter has a Tutor... she has a Master's Degree and is certified and has many years of experience teaching in schools. She charges $30/hour.

My mom, who is a retired 3rd grade teacher of 35 years tutors for $50.00 an hour. She has more children than she wants to have in a week and a waiting list.

I was talking with a colleague and she said her daughter (working on her master's degree) is tutoring and earning $30 per hour. She's not a certified teacher.

I am a certified teacher with my MA and 12 years of classroom experience. I tutor for the same reasons you want to, and it's great! I charge $55/hour. The range around here seems to be $40-$60 per hour. The website sittercity.com has job listings for tutors and you can post an ad. Good luck!

In our area it is $25 an hour but that includes 2 students to 1 teacher at a time.

1 / 3