What Would You Do When an Adoption Is Final

My brother and his wife are in the process of adopting two beautiful girls and the adoption is supposed to be final on June 12,2009. DO you think we should be giving a gift? Right after they got the girls a year and a half ago they were given a shower and the girls also had a birthday since then. We were thinking about getting them a little gift but didnt know if it would be appropriate and thought i would get your advice.

Thank you so much for everyones suggestions. I think i will take a little advice from all of them and get a family goft and or a poem of some sort. I really like the frame idea as well. SO we will see. As far as a party goes my brother is going to be having one the day after the adoption is final because i told him to take his family out on their official first family trip for the day of. Thanks again

I think a nice idea for them becoming official would be to get them a gift certificate for a place that does family photos to commemorate their officially being a family.

It would be nice to get them a certificate to have a family photo made and a nice frame since they are officially becoming a family.

Hi J.

i was adopted the age of 12 by my parents and my mom gave me a wonderful gift that to this day i still cherish... it was a photo album and in the inside cover she wrote a very special note to me and the first photo in there was of me, her, my father and my brothers.. something else she gave me that i lost years ago was a cabbage doll..
being adopted is a very special gift and it should be celebrated with some small token. every year as a child my adoption was celebrated with a family dinner and that made me feel even more special.

N.

Yes, totally appropriate. Often, in court when the proceeding is final, the judge or court will give a gift - a teddy bear or something - It's a huge deal, adopting and/or being adopted and accepted permanantly into your new and forever family. Celebrate the hell out of it.

I am an adoptive mom. On the day we finalized we went out to breakfast after the court hearing. Some family members were in court with us and some met us at the restaurant. It has become our yearly tradition to get together for breakfast/brunch on our daughters "adoption day". I would suggest if you are local to them...take them out to lunch or something and have a nice celebration. If you would like to give a gift...some adoption books would be wonderful! Tell Me Again About The Night I Was Born (as mentioned below) is great, We Belong Together is also fabulous. Borders or Barnes and Noble have small sections with adoption story books. I think getting a few and wrapping with just a nice ribbon and bow would be so very thoughtful.

Hi, how thoughtful of you to think of celebrating such a special day. I was adopted and my mom wrote me a poem for me to celebrate my adoption day. I still have it and I have to say it was better than any gift I have ever received.

Why not write a simple poem to the adopted girls? "It happened in June, we had a full moon and your adoption made final was to happen soon!...etc." The poem my mom wrote for me was like that, fun and lighthearted but really special!

Or make a personalized card with a family photo in it or something? I think the thought is way more important than the cost.

I know of a book that could be the perfect gift:
Happy Adoption Day by John McCutcheon.
It comes with a CD too because it was first written as a song. It's beautiful for any child. I have 6 adopted brothers and sisters and wish we had this book when we were little. P.

get them whatever you want, they are your family too and if you think this is something worth celebrating then by all means do it for you and for all others involved who will see that you love all of them.

I have two sisters that have both adopted two children, one at a time. The day that the adoption is final is a very joyous day and we usually had a big party. It really is just a time of family and friends acknowledging that the children truly are theirs (finally). If they are not having a celebration then a small gift would be apropriate. Something that has to do with family would be ideal.

1 / 3