What Type of Mix Is This Dog? (Look at My Profile Picture)

Hi everyone,

My kids really want me to go ahead and adopt an Aussie Mix from a shelter. I was wondering what your hunch is regarding the other breed that makes up this dog. Her brother looks much fluffier and is almost all a light chocolate color. They were taken from another shelter and placed at the current shelter 2 weeks ago. The male looks like it took after it's mom since it has the fluffy, long coat of fur.

I am not sure if I am ready for a dog yet, since my dear Jessie (cocker spaniel) died recently (only 18 days ago) But my ten year olds are just so excited to have a dog in the house..... especially an active one! The shelter is closed until Tuesday and if I go ahead and adopt when they open again, I want to make sure to educate myself on the mix of this dog. I read up on Boston Terrier/Australian Shepherd mix (my hunch) and there were some "cons" that got me thinking if I should go ahead with this adoption.

Please let me know what you think regarding the type of dog this could be and any knowledge you might have regarding the possible mix of breeds. (for those of you that don't know.... in order to see my profile photo, you click on my name in blue just above my request.)

Joy

WE ADOPTED HER!!! SHE IS SUCH A SWEETHEART. WE'VE HAD HER FOR 1 WEEK NOW AND SHE JUST FITS IN WITH OUR FAMILY SO MUCH!! HER BROTHER GOT ADOPTED A FEW DAYS LATER. YAY!! PLEASE CONSIDER ADOPTING YOUR NEXT PET BECAUSE SO MANY DON'T HAVE HAPPY ENDINGS LIKE THESE TWO. IT FEELS GOOD TO SAVE A LIFE!

So I looked again and I think boxer is a good one for this dog. You have the ears and the brindle and the small feet...def. my guess is boxer. Final answer.

OMG he is so CUTE! I had a boxer, so maybe that's why my love of boxers is telling me that he may have a little bit of boxer in him (coloring - does he have some brindle??) My other thought was pit. Beagle? Well maybe, but do those two size animals "work" together?? OMG just adorable. If he is part boxer, man oh man that is the best dog for the kiddos. Loyal, a true friend. Maybe slightly slobbery. But great.

To me it looks like a big jack russel terrier.

Updated

I had an aussie/heeler mix. My current dog is what we think to be a black lab/heeler/border collie mix. AWESOME dogs. They need lots of attention and activity, very loyal. Highly trainable, they are working dogs, so you need to help direct that energy. My mix would try and 'herd' us around the living room, sometimes we would get little, harmless ankle nips (that's how they herd sheep).

I don't see a boston terrier in here, terriers usually have pretty wirey hair, and are smaller... then again a mix can lose that I'm sure. Others say a pitt may be in there.. possible, but the face is pretty narrow, pitt's usually have much broader faces. A vet would be better at this.

Definitely spend time with the dog, see how it interacts if it's going to be the alpha/dominant or not. Here are some good personality tests:
http://animalcare.lacounty.gov/puptest.asp
http://www.unclematty.com/training/who.htm

Also, bless you for rescuing!!

There are probably SO many decades of different breeds in this dog. Not to mention one litter of [guppies can have multiple fathers. there is NO way to tell, just looking at a dog. Seriously, no way.

Breed, doesn't matter! Temperament does. How you can provide for the dog matters. The dog will need training and a walk EVERY day. You say the dog is active, he especially needs valuable walks. Can the children poke and prod at his head, ears, paws, tails, back end...with no anxious reaction from the dog? Does he appear timid and scared around them. Is he food aggressive, or possessive over people, toys, and items? Don't waste another moment guessing breed (which you never could) and look at how this animal could fit into your family. If YOU aren't ready for a dog, don't get one. You will be the main caregiver. If you can't give the dog an exerting walk every day, don't get him. If you can't train him by yourself or through someone else, don't get him. If his temperament and energy does not fit your family, don't get him.

**In mixes, you can never guess what breed characteristics will be dominate, from the other.

the ears say pit bull... brindle coloring says pit bull... but body and look wise says border collie/austrailian shepherd. i have a border collie/chow mix. he is high energy, was harder to potty train (we got him at 10 weeks and they had papered trained him). also male dogs can be harder to train.
i think that she would be a good addition as long as she gets exercised well. they need to have a good size yard. a walk will not do it for a high energy dog. if you do not have a yard then get her aquainted with a dog park. you seem to have a lot of love in your heart to love another dog. or you would not have gone and looked. my inlaws lost their dog a month after he suffered a spinal injury (they put him down because he was suffering). they went through the i will never own a dog again. let me tell you by day 18 they had already bought a new addition. they were looking online seprately and both fell in love with the same dog with out knowing the other was looking at him. please dont let the death of one animal keep you from loving another. no she will not be replacing the love of the dog you lost but she will be opening you up to a whole new love for her :)

That dog is so cute! He looks like he needs lots of exercise. Part aussie, part beagle, part husky, part boxer, part terrier, part jack russel. It's hard to say from one picture. A video would help. He can be a mix of many many breeds. A cutie for sure and it looks like he is high energy. Take that dog for daily walks, runs, bike rides. Don't leave him cooped up bc a tired dog is a good dog.

Maybe German & Austrailian Shepard.

OK....to start with, you know he's an Aussie mix. That is a high-energy level breed. He seems to also have some german shepard, collie or maybe pitbull in there. Only because you say his brother is lt. chocolate will I wonder....Lab. Maybe Siberian Husky, as they come in brown as well and are fluffy. He seems sweet, but looks like a handful. if he is any of these mixes put together, he is indeed a high energy breed and will require alot of care on your part, as he may be to much of a powerhouse for your children to deal with. All breedsthat I named are herding, working or hunting breeds and will require alot of excercise......6-30 min walks or 4 1 hr walks, constant play.....all to work out their excess energy. If you do not do this, these breeds tend to get destructive and into alot of mischief. I have 2 jack russell terriers and I need to do this for them as they get into trouble if I don't. They start stealing shoes and laundry, clean or dirty, and they get temperamental as well. For as much as I adore dogs and adopting and fostering, you must always be aware of what you are about to take on. If it does not feel gut right to you, don't do it. Especially because you don't know what breeds are involved and for the ones that you do seem to know, it may not be a good match for your 10year olds or your home. Perhaps this particular pup would do best on a farm. As a mom with kids who wanted a dog that ended up being my responsibility, stick to what you know works best for you, your children and your home. Good Luck!

1 / 3