What to Wear to a "Casual" Wedding?

I have a evening wedding to attend next weekend and on the invitaion it says dress casual. There will be a pig roast and a bonfire along with a coctail hour. What do I wear? What should my husband wear? I have never been fond of someone (let alone me) wearing jeans to a wedding but I also don't want to be walking in heels and a dress outside at a bonfire. Thanks for all your help!

i was just at a wedding just like this. I wore a nice pair of jean capris and my husband wore a nice pair of shorts. We had fun,but did feel sorry for the people who did dress up more because of the smoke. Now that the weather is changing a sweatshirt or a jacket will be required. Just go and have fun. Dont worry about what everyone else is wearing. Ask another couple you know that is going if it will help you feel better.

If you'd be more comfortable, ask the host exactly what they mean by casual.

The great thing about jeans is you can always dress them up OR down. If you wear a newer darker blue pair, they will look more formal than the light colored ones, but will still be casual. Find a nicer "casual shirt" or you could even go with a nicer suit jacket over a t-shirt with a scarf or beads. Just wear nicer flats or sandals (be cautious though, if you will be standing in dirt, mud or on grass - don't ruin good shoes by wearing them in the dust/dirt).

If jeans are out entirely, wear a mid-length summer/fall dress with a colored jean jacket over the top and cowboy boots. Most importantly, wear something you feel comfortable in.
Have fun!

We have been to serveral "casual" weddings lately. Everyone wore shorts or jeans and tennis shoes or sandals. We just went to one that was held at Thresheree Park, between Edgerton and Janesville, WI. The bride wore her white dress, but, the groom and groomsment were in tan Dockers and a nice shirt. It was so much fun, you could camp and they had a train running for awhile, so you could take a train ride around the park.
Our oldest son & daughter-in-law, had their wedding reception at a park and that was "casual". We grilled brats and burgers and had chips, dips and some pasta and potatoe salad.

We are seeing more of the "casual" weddings around here. Everyone seems to like them, because they don't have to "dress up" and it feels more like a "picnic" with family and friends than a formal wedding reception.

I wouldn't "dress up". Just wear something that is comfortable and HAVE FUN!

How about a denim skirt?

Hi, J.! Why not a pair of black capris with a casual blouse and sandals? Then you can take off your sandals and go for a romantic walk with your husband on the beach! He could wear a nice pair of black Dockers and a matching shirt with casual shoes. I'm sure you've had other responses; just had to throw my two cents in. Have fun!

I have never been to a casual wedding and, like you, would not feel comfortable wearing jeans. However, I recently saw that one could wear a dress(very casual) over jeans or with a jean jacket or sweater(short sleeve) over the dress. That way, you do not look over/underdressed. What about walking shorts or capris? I hope it works or you find something appropriate and comfortable to wear to the wedding.

We went to a beach wedding this August that was also casual. Since it's a bit cooler now I would try to wear something like capris or a pair of dress pants...like maybe something for 'casual Friday' at work. I'm not fond of people wearing jeans to a wedding either, but you could pull of a pair of nice black jeans with a dressier type (maybe a scooped neck) top or light weight sweater. It'll look nice with some jewelry. I was planning something like that for a wedding that I was supposed to attend this weekend too (casual with a few bands playing throughout the night)...we won't be able to attend though since it's out of town and an adult's only reception and the grandparents were also invited:(
Good luck on the clothing hunt!

you can wear nice dress pants/dress suit or a sundress or something... some nice flat sandals or dressy shoes are fine.

Short of a barbecue, I can't think of an occasion more suited to wearing jeans than a bonfire and pig roast. Sounds to me like the couple is more concerned about their guests being comfortable and enjoying themselves than with appearances. Have fun!

wear a fun easy to dress up or down skirt with sandles and a cute top. your husband can easily get away with kahkis and whatever shirt he is comfortable with. it's casual but still dressing for a celebration or a party if you would. good luck. you could always ask another person going to the wedding what they might be wearing. have lots of fun it sounds like it will be.

1 / 3