What to Wear for Large Group Family Pictures?

My parents 50th Wedding Anniversary is coming up. We are having a family picture taken, but we are still trying to figure out what to wear. There will be 19 people in the picture. My parents, their 4 children and spouses and 9 grandchildren (1 college, 3 highschool, 2 middleschool, 2 elementry, and 1 baby). We want this to look very nice and not cheesy. Thanks for your help.

We will be doing a similar thing later this year. We are planning on each family unit wearing a specific color. My brother's family picked red shirts with blue jeans. My family is doing green shirts with blue jeans. My parents aer doing blue shirts with blue jeans. I think you get the drift. The most important thing is enjoying the time. It may never happen again.

I used to work for a photographer.

This is what she would tell people to wear.

Khaki bottoms and light blue tops
or
Jeans and white tops

You don't want anything distracting or loud on, just neutral colors.

That being said, it did look funny when everyone dressed exactly alike--so--

Tell everyone to wear khaki and shades of blue in any combination--dresses, shorts, pants, shirts, etc.

AND GO BAREFOOT! :)

Have a blast!

~A.

I kow a friend tha is a photographer and he sys A combition of Red, White and Black make great shots.

Depends where u r taking the picture...
I love black on top and denim on bottom. Depending on skin tones, I like white on top and khaki on bottom...
I love the little ones without shoes in any setting.
I've not seen one bad photo with these colors!

Hi, it sounds like a pretty nice sized family. I have seen family gatherings where one family would wear one color,another family, their color. I realize it's not a " get lost in the crowd thing", but it could help your parents to more easily show their friends, which kids belong to this daughter or son. It probably doesn't really matter, as long as you don/t blend into the background..
My family and I had a picture made ,mom, sis, and I at Olan Mills, years ago, each wore bright , different colors. Sis and I both had red hair,the colors were off, moms blue dress turned purple, and My hair became black, and I wore a yellow top and black skirt. Go figure?
Whatever you wear, enjoy this great anniversary, and get together.
enjoy,
BF

I used to work for a photographer.

Khaki bottoms and light blue tops
or
Jeans and white tops

AND GO BAREFOOT! :)

Have a blast!

~A.

I'm not an expert, but my family recently planed to take a large family picture and it fell through due to stormy weather. We'll try again in a couple of months. Some tips the photographer gave us:
-all wear denim or black on the bottom (khaki makes the women look more "hippy"
-all wear either white, pastels, or true colors on top (all solids)
-"individual" families wear all the same color (still all pastels OR trues)
-women wear 3/4 length sleeves (to hide flabby arms)
-women wear collars (we decided not to enforce this rule)

We were doing jeans and white for everyone, then changed to jeans and pastels to free everyone up more on what they could wear. We have 16 people, and not everyone had a white shirt.

Sounds fun - have a great time and I hope the pointers are helpful!

K.,

We have taken family pictures before, and here's what we did:

It was on a beach, and the photographer suggested that we all wear white t-shirts, khaki pants, and bare feet. It turned out really good.

Another time, it was in my inlaws' house. Each family wore a different color. We were the "yellow family." My husband, myself and our kids all wore yellow t-shirts and jeans. Another family wore blue t-shirts, another family wore pink t-shirts.

I realize your parents' 50th anniversary will be much more dressy than our family pictures were, so whatever you wear, make sure that no one wears prints - only solids. Will the men be wearing suits? If the mean wear suits, maybe the women can all wear solid colored dresses? Maybe the women/girls in one family can wear pink dresses, and the women/girls in another family wear blue dresses, etc. Maybe the boys can wear khaki pants and a white button down shirt? Or would the boys also wear suits? Just some ideas for you to think about. Good luck!

we did this last year and went with darks...black, brown and had a few tans mixed in and it really looked nice

we also did a sitting with summer colors bright and bold and it was beautiful as well

keep it simple..... everyone wears the same color top or all the guys wear one color all the girls wear one Samr type and color pants so maybe blue jeans ( i know it may seem strange but it will be the easiest to get all ages in the same thing. youmay also try kacki slacks

solid colors, absolutely no patterns. Choose a color theme and as everyone to stick to it (pastels look really good this time of year, green, blue, pink, lavendar) stick with jeans or khaki's. If the picture will be formal, I don't know about that...I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice.

1 / 3