What to Wear for Family Pictures?

is it best to wear matching colors like white shirts and jeans, black shirts and jeans or colorful sweater? help--I'm not sure-- we are light/med skin with brown hair--what looks best?

Thank you to everyone. Your advice and opinions were very helpful. We had a great studio picture experience. The kids did well and had great smiles. We wore: husband wore a charcoal sweater, I wore a burgandy thin short sleeved sweater with a large bell kneck with a gray sleevless sweater dress over it and cropped boots (just a hit of burgany showed under the dress). My daughter wore a black sequin long sleeve shirt and a cute layered black adn gray ribbon/sequin skirt, my son wore a plaid long sleeve with white, burgandy, gray, and a hint of gold in it. It all looked really good together and we had several compliments while we were at the studio. I did gray and black backgrounds but then chose to do sepia to enhance the pictures. Turned out great.

Hello,

I think having everyone coordinated looks very nice. We did red shirts with khaki pants for Christmas cards last year and it looked fANTASTIC! We are all blond, fair and blue eyed. I put Santa hats on the kids and it was really neat. The tree in the background made the rest of it :)

I personally like the matching idea, even if it is the guys wear one color and the girls match the color in a dress or shirt. To me it looks neater and more organized.

Here are some tips on a photographers websites blogs. The second shows examples! I agree the all white/all black with jeans is a little dated. I think the trend now is to use colors in a similar family and to find personality of your family members. The way photographers can edit today. You may also want to think about layers and fun props like a scarf or football, vests, hats, etc. VERY fun. We did that with our photographer and she was able to capture tons of looks with little effort on our part;) Have fun!!
http://emilymccall.com/what-to-wear/
http://pebblebrookportraits.blogspot.com/2009/09/what-to-...

A professional photographer told me that you should all wear one solid color (all long sleeved) so the picture will focus on your faces not your clothing. Just a tip...

Hello,

You are going to laugh, but one of the best pics of the family we have done is in coordinating PJ's! It was pretty dang cute:) Also, I would do coordinating colors. Maybe black, white and reds..or blue and brown. Even everyone in coordinating fall colors is cute. Like one person in a brown sweater, another in orange, and someone else with a wine colored top. No crazy patterns, but color always looks nice. I personally find the white shirts more of a summer time look. Good luck trying to coordinate everyone..it is a tough job! ~A.~

We just did a 4 generation photo and are all the same coloring as what you just portrayed. Light/medium skin with dark hair and two with dishwater blonde. We all wore white button down shirts with blue jeans and the shots came out amazing. Everyone has commented on how wonderful it looks. We took them at Target at Richardson Square Mall and they used a dark brown background and they just look amazing. I can't say enough wonderful things. The research I did before said the best pictures are ones that everyone has one color on such as white or black and not multi-colors because it detracts from the faces. Hope that helps!

It's ABSOLUTELY better to all be somewhat the same. White/jeans, Black/jeans, Navy/Kakhi, even Pink/white with jeans. It just give the picture more of a finished look. If you are having a photographer do the work, they will be able to tell you specific things for the background you will be using as well.

When we went and had our family pictures done, my family went dressed as themselves. =) My son had spikes with blue tips (5 yr), my daughter wore fuzzy boots with a cute dress (8 yr), etc. I wanted to remember them as they are... however, if you're looking for the more posed effect, the same color shirts and bottoms are always a winner (white top/black pants or jeans). Have fun with it!

Mix it up! I think the pics where everyone is wearing the same thing are outdated. Just try to coordinate everyone.

1 / 3