What to Use to Clean (Laundry) Washer ...Washer Smells Alittle Musty....

My washer is very old but can't get a new one just yet I have seen one time some one gave some information about cleaning Washer could someone give me some idea's smells a little musty..Thanks mw

White vinegar - I use it in almost every wash to get rid of musty odors caused by all kinds of things (stale dishcloths and towels, "accident" clothes from my 2 yr old, gym clothes and socks, etc). Buy it in the giant jug at Fred Meyer, Costco or the regular old grocery store. For a couple bucks per gallon it's a worthy addition (a cup or so) to every load. Enjoy fresh smelling laundry again!

One important thing to do is never to close the lid of the clothes washer when it is not washing. This is because the washer is still wet after washing the clothes and it needs to dry out before you shut the lid.

there are a few things that you can do.
1. there is a gap between the very top of a waher and the
speen barrel some times things can get traped and they will start to make it smell.
2. pour bleach in the washer and put on e or two white things in and let it do it's thing oh yeh if there
is a part where the rince gose, pour bleach in there
to.
3. keep the lid open when not in use.
4. do not let dirty things (cloths ext) stay in your wash, wash your dirty things right away.
5. don't let wet things (cloths ext) stay in washer. when
lod is done take them out and put them in dryer or hang out to dry.
I clean under my washer and dryer with bleach
my husband pulls them out and I clean them.
I also do a bleach wash about every two mouths just with bleach and a old towel or two, I use about half a bottel.
other than that
good luck

I've also had a washer that smelled musty. I tried everything and eventually gave up and bought a new one. What happened was water had leaked into the inside components and grown mold..

However, you can keep it under control by using vinegar, baking soda, and/or bleach once a week or so. Also, NEVER leave a damp load of clothes in the washer once they're done and always leave the door open between loads. You can probably manage it slightly until you can purchase a new(or used) one. I recently bought a used washer/dryer set off of Craigslist and it works great. Good luck!

Run a cycle without clothes, without detergent and with chlorox or vinegar. You may have to do this more than once.

Always leave the lid up or the door open so that the machine dries out between uses.

After reading other wonderful responses I remembered that if the space between the drum and the outside case needs cleaning, you can remove the back of the washer to clean it. Be sure to unplug the washer first.

You can also clean out the dryer this way. Sometimes lint builds up inside the dryer outside the drum and this can be a fire hazard.

My Dad was an appliance repairman and did these things for me. He said it was safe as long as the plug is pulled. I think a gas dryer would also require that the gas be shut off but I don't really know about that.

You can call an appliance repair shop and ask them about this. My Dad told people how to care for their appliances themselves. He had enough work fixing breakdowns. :):)

Run a load with Vinegar if the smell is still there you might need to do it one more time and the smell should be gone.

Depending on how old your washer is, you should pour 2/3 cup of bleach into the bleach dispenser and run the "clean" cycle. (If you don't have a "clean" cycle, just run a short, regular wash cycle with no clothes in the machine.) Also, you might want to look into a product called "Washer Magic." It's supposed to remove the lime and rust build-up in your washer's hoses and lines. (I was told about this product, but have yet to use it. It is also recommended that you run the "rinse/drain" cycle after the "Washer Magic" just to be sure the product is thoroughly rinsed from your machine.)

Finally, you'll want to leave the washer door open at the end of doing laundry, just so the drum and inside of the door air-dries.

Vinegar works great! I dump a gallon in there and run it with no clothes. I do this every couple of months and never get an odor problem.

Try using a little bit of Sunlight dish soap, about a capful, and run the washer on hot, empty. Also you could try an empty bleach wash too. I keep my washer door open between washes too.

1 / 3