What to Pack for Lunch - No Sandwiches

Hi, what do you put in your child's packed lunch?
I'd like to pack my child's lunch more often, but the biggest hurdle is that I'm at a loss as to what to pack. He doesn't like sandwiches of any kind. He doesn't like yogurt. He doesn't like peanut butter. He doesn't like soup. And he can't heat anything up, although I do have a thermos that is made for things like soup.

Of course I put in some fruit, which he likes. But I'd like some way to include some protein, because he has a long day (lunch at 11:30 AM, and he goes to after care, so he doesn't get home until 5:30).

I'm stumpted. Ideas?

My son doesn't like sandwiches either!

Proteins:
Boiled Eggs (with a dash of salt)
Rolled up deli meat
Sliced chicken breast with Ranch Dip
Sliced cheeses
Cooked/sliced hot dog (mine likes them room temp, so it works for us)
Quesadilla (I make it the night before, slice and pack)

Other things I send:
- carrot sticks
- fruits
- Sliced bell peppers/cucumbers
- Crackers and cheese
- Bread and butter
- a little "sweet snack" like Teddy Grahams

Lettuce wraps with meat.
Cold slice of meat loaf.
Cold chicken leg.
Hard boiled egg.
Tortilla roll up.
String cheese
Cold meatballs.
Mac & cheese in a Thermos.
BBQ meatballs warm in Thermos.
Cheese & crackers & pepperoni.

Can you tell I have a sandwich hater too? Lol

This may have been mentioned, but this site gave me great ideas for camp lunches the last few years - I'll be referring to it again this summer: http://easylunchboxes.smugmug.com/The-Best-Lunchbox-Syste...

My son doesn't like sandwiches either!

Proteins:
Boiled Eggs (with a dash of salt)
Rolled up deli meat
Sliced chicken breast with Ranch Dip
Sliced cheeses

Other things I send:
- carrot sticks
- fruits
- Sliced bell peppers/cucumbers
- Crackers and cheese
- Bread and butter

If mine were that picky I'd refuse to pack a lunch. He can eat whatever they have at school.

I do all sorts of things for my kids. I have made "sushi" rolls. I use tortillas, put meat, veggies (greens, peppers, cucumbers, whatever), sometimes cheese, and I roll it up, cut it into pieces, lay them in the container sideways so they look like sushi rolls.

Does he like Lunchables? Make your own. Get cheese squares, crackers, pepperoni, things like that and make a "lunchable."

I make mac and cheese, spaghetti o's, spaghetti, etc and put it in the thermos' for the kids. Just be sure to put boiling water in the thermos first to heat it up. Dump the water, then add the hot food. It'll stay hot until lunch.

Make a salad. I made one the other day that the kids called a pizza salad. It was salad greens, pepperoni, peppers and cheese.

My kids have the Rubbermaid Lunch Blox. It's great for portions. It has one sandwich size, one long and two small containers.

HTH!

At our house, we eat leftovers, so it's not uncommon for my son to eat grilled chicken over veggies/rice, pasta, pork chops..Lasagne, homemade wraps.. basically, whatever we had for dinner..

I no longer think in terms of "lunch food" but instead think about food my son enjoys. He's not a picky eater , although he does prefer healthier food over what he calls " generation food" in other words, junk food such as chicken nuggets, boxed juice.. etc..

If your son will eat left overs, then try that route. My son's lunch has become very eclectic over the years :) but if he doesn't mind and eats it, then it's all good by me .

good luck

Wraps w/grilled chicken & veggies, wrapped in foil

Salami, sliced cheese, crackers

Soup heated up at home till it's HOT then place in theros, send w/crackers

Send some protein bars (find one he likes poss w/chococate in it)

Protein smoothie drink packed w/those ice packs. Be sure he has a good
lined & insulated lunch bag (get one that's masculine so he won't mind)

Tuna in a can w/a can opener, crackers & a little packet of mayo

Carrot sticks w/Ranch

Try weelicious.com this lady makes lunches for her kid and takes a picture everyday. She has some off the beaten path lunch ideas!

I'm so using some of the replies you've gotten! I second the the idea that it doesn't have to be "lunch" food. With your restrictions, I would go with leftovers from dinner, since you know what he likes to eat.

Other things that are popular with my kiddos: pastas, veggies (both steamed and raw), hard boiled eggs, nuts, string cheese, hotdogs, granola bars, muffins, and multi grain crackers.

Lettuce wraps with meat.
Cold slice of meat loaf.
Cold chicken leg.
Hard boiled egg.
Tortilla roll up.
String cheese
Cold meatballs.
Mac & cheese in a Thermos.
BBQ meatballs warm in Thermos.
Cheese & crackers & pepperoni.

1 / 3