What to Give a 13 Month Old for a Cough?

Is there anything you can give a 13 month old for a cough? We've all had this nasty little bug that's been going around and the baby just got it now too. He's been really clingy and fussy today, normally he's perfect. I think he might possibly be teething some too, since he's been carrying a sock around in his mouth all day, lol! He's sleeping right now, but I keep hearing him cough and I just want him to be able to get a good nights rest tonight after having a grumpy day today! Thanks everyone!!

I give my little guy a teaspoon of honey :-) does the trick (most of the time) and he Loves it ! Good luck. I hate when they're not feeling well !

Fluids, humidifier, warm steamy bathroom, elevate the head of the crib....

Another thing too, if he gets to coughing too much, do the old, hold him in the bathroom with the hot shower going. Also, Vicks makes a "plug-in" mentholatum that works pretty good if he is in a closed room. (opening the door defeats the purpose)
As far as "medicine"....not too much. They are so little that any real relief wont come from a bottle.

There is also baby vicks. Try some Motrin. I dont know of much over the counter for a cough. We were able to get Tylenol with Codeine from our dr for my 7mth old's cough. It works really great. But I also found that a dose of Motrin at night works well for the crankiness and sleeping.

Vicks and other mentholated products can actually cause WORSE CONGESTION and should not be used on babies younger than 2. I get severe asthma when I'm exposed to them. (http://www.ehow.com/info_###-###-####_vicks-baby-rub-safe...: "Vicks VapoRub should not be used on children under the age of 2. It is extremely dangerous to apply this ointment to babies because it can cause reactions that are similar to having a severe cold or breathing problem. When applied to infants, Vicks causes inflammation of the lungs, mucus production and difficulty breathing, rather than relieving cold symptoms.")

If he wakes in distress from croupy coughing, the steamy bathroom may help. Also, taking a child out into night air (warmly bundled, of course) can calm a croupy cough surprisingly quickly. http://children.webmd.com/tc/croup-topic-overview

Hope he gets better soon.

I don't know if your LO is old enough for this, but when our kids have coughs we sometimes have them suck on a lollypop. It moistens their throats and sometimes helps break up the coughing cycle. Lemon lollypops are the best, but anything could do.

You can also try dissolving a tablespoon of honey in a little bit of water and putting it in a cup or bottle. A straight spoonful of honey would be better, but I'm not sure you could get it in her mouth. The honey coats the throat and helps stop the cough.

Chestal or Little Colds Honey cough-both okay 12 months and over, non medical, honey based. Do a test run of half a dose if your child has never had honey before.

Vicks on babys feet works! I didn't think it would, but my MIL was insistant, and wow... it helps, especially before bed!

If the cough is due to teeth, you're out of luck, because it's only caused by the excess drooling :/ If he's getting sick and has think green or yellow snot, take him to the doctor for an antibiotic.

If you're still not sure, you could always call the pediatrician and see what dose of benadryl is appropriate for your childs weight... it will help dry him up a little.

Stick with a humidifier in his room. Any kind of velcro sound of cough, barking, wheezing, etc is means to take him to the doctor in the next day or too. Cool fresh air also helps clear any junk out of kids heads if it's there... just let their nose run, then they won't be coughing on whatever's sliding down the back of the throat.

Hope he feels better! And LOL @ the sock thing... my 13 month old LOVES socks!!

1 / 3