What to Get My 16 Year Old for Her Road Trip

My Daughter is 16 and she is going on a mission trip in june and she is traveling for about 9 hours the first day to get there. She will be traveling with other teens from her church. What kind of stuff should I give her to occupy her time? they will stop periodically for meals and such but I want to make sure she has snacks and possibly other activities for the ride. THey are not allowed to bring DVDs or iPods or Cell Phones. I am on a very limited budget

What about "The book of Questions" - thought provoking questions she can use as conversation starters with her friends. They may have newer, teenager ones.

Hi A., How about coloring books and crayons? Even this age will enjoy them when they are bored! They can even rip out pages to share. You can also buy packages of colored floss used for cross-stiching at the dollar stores that they can make friendship braclets with. Nail polish and files, for manicers. Google ways of braiding hair, and copy the directions. Hope they have fun.

I've been on a few mission trips when I was younger. First, she won't need as much self entertainment as you might think. As someone said...it's a bus full of teenagers! There will be all sorts of things going on.... silly games, silly songs... you name it.

For those times when she does want to just chill by herself... maybe a book, or sudoku, or crosswords. Ask her. What does she like? Does she even like to read while traveling.

Don't fret over this too much. But, a camera is a MUST!

I would bring books and handheld games like solitary etc.. also cards and a journal to keep track of her trip.

How awesome for your daughter! Have you been on any missions trips yourself? The last one I went on kept us far to busy to worry about having anything with us to keep us occupied. :) The fellowship that she will have with her peers will shape her life for a wonderful future!

Don't worry about this one. Let God handle it.

Puzzles or Word Seaches...Sudoku, or Mad Libs...those are always fun with a good of people...You can even find mini versions of games at Walmart or Meijer that are designed for the car....Magazines and/or books too :o) Oh, and cards if they will have the room to play them safely!

A lot of people have touched on things to occupy her time so I'll mention just a few things for comfort during the long ride. Use a backpack to put all of her things in one managable location with easy access. Maybe some granola bars or cereal bars, a pack of gum, snack size bags of almonds, or other things she enjoys for munching, a bottle of water or sports drink that keeps without being refrigerated. Possibly a lightweight throw/lap blanket that rolls up (Walmart has them for like $4-they are compact and portable)and a travel size pillow for napping. If she is going to be gone for a while, it might be a nice surprise for her to find a couple snapshots of folks from home in her bag :-) Best Wishes!

Make sure she has a camera, as she will want to look back on this experience with her friends. Maybe crossword puzzles, word search or sudoku.

Having been on several mission trips when I was in high school, I can agree with everyone else who says she won't need much! We took cards, books, board games, etc. and that occupied our time. When we weren't doing those things we were napping or playing some of those car games everyone has played as a kid.

Try googleing "car ride games" or something like that and see if you can find anything new to come up with.

Hi, a deck of cards is always handy, that way you can be sociable too. Sounds like a fun trip :-) J. - mom to Mark 17 and Vanessa 10½

1 / 3