What to Get for Care Package for Nephew Who Will Have Surgery

My almost 10yo nephew will be having surgery next week for a tethered spinal cord. He'll be in the hospital for 4-5 days and bedrest for the next week. What should we send to help entertain him? I was thinking maybe activity books and reading books and maybe a new set of pajamas, but what else???

Thank you all for the ideas and kind words. He had gotten lots of books from his teachers so I sent movies, snacks, magazine, PJs... He loved getting the package. He's doing great now. The surgery was a success and he has fully recovered. Thank you again for the kind words and prayers!!

Has anybody mentioned the "I Spy" or "Where's Waldo?" book series? I teach sixth grade and my students love these! Those books will keep them occupied forever...

There are people and organizations who sit and play games with or entertain (clowns). We have a group of police officers who visit the hospitals then homes and develop relationships with these kids. There are a lot of people willing to help a child feel better while recovering!

R.,
I know someone that went through that with both her girls at around the same age. We always made care packages for them as well so it's really nice that you are doing this and I know he'll appreciate it. My suggestion is comic books, hand held games, games that can be played by just speaking, some new movies (??) such as the new Shrek the 3rd, Meet the Robinson's, etc..., snacks and word games if he likes those such as crosswords and seek and find for kids. Hope this helps and that he comes through the surgery and recovery with flying colors!
P.S. One other thing I wanted to mention. Don't forget Mom. She will be spending most, if not all, her time there with him. A little care package for her with teas, new slippers, etc... would be greatly appreciated I know!

Hi R..
Maybe some crossword puzzles he can do with a family member. He can help guess and they can write the answers down for him, until he is able to do it himself.
Take Care!

He'll probably be on a lot of painkillers and may have a hard time moving his arms if they're operating on his spine. You might get him some fun DVDs as well as easy (not too much thinking) activity books. Get some cozy pajamas!

How about some easy cross word puzzles or search a words? You can also buy some cool fuzzy posters that you marker on, all of these things are sold at the dollar tree if you have one of those. Oh, you might also try small puzzles, modeling clay and magnetic travel games.

My kids had surgery for Arnold Chiari Malformation 1 in 2003 when they were 10 and 11......due to IVs etc you might want to get sleep pants that he can wear with hospital top.........socks! cards especially Uno, Game Boy and Game Boy games, we have portable DVD players with DVDs.....CD player with CDs.......kids bounce back very fast and do not seem to experience the problems of adults.........oh, and a stuffed, soft fuzzy friend was most welcomed by my kids.......good luck and you are awesome to do this for him!

The Dangerous Book for Boys by Iggulden is sure to be a hit. My son takes hisith him everywhere!

books, definately. Does he like Army men? Does he have a gameboy or something? Maybe some sort of art kit that won't make a big mess? Maybe a new movie?
HTH! Good luck!

When my SIL (13-14yo at the time) had back surgery, she and my MIL discovered that several little (3-4" round) pillows were extremely helpful for comfort. They were so helpful, that for about 3-6 mo. after the surgery, they made and delivered 100s of these pillows to the children's hospital. They are very easy to make, and if you don't sew, I'll be happy to make them free of labor, if you buy the materials. :) I need about 2 days to do it. They could be shaped like a football just as easily as a circle.
God Bless your family!

1 / 3