What to Get a Teacher for Christmas?

Hi Ladies!
My son is in kindergarten and I am not sure what the protocol for Christmas gifts are. We would like to get something for his teacher and the assistant teacher, any ideas? is there a rule of thumb to go by?

What wonderfully creative and thoughtful gift giving ideas! I think I am leaning more towards the home made and I love the movie night idea. Thank you so much!

I am a teacher in menopause (chocolate and cookies go straight to my hips, have allergies to scents (no candles or perfumes) and don't work for Starbucks and think they are overpriced... HMMMM... I was amazed at how fabulous my gifts were last year because the parents asked the children what I liked. I love to read, exercise and get messages. Every gift I got was either a novel game for the classroom or something to do with one of the above. I also love getting g/c to local lunch places. Even if it is $5, I am motivated to treat myself.

Ask a few questions... When a parent or student takes the time to personalize even the smallest gift it is really touching!!!

For Valentines one year my mom made giant heart shaped sugar cookies and frosted/decorated them. Wrapped them in plastic wrap and they were a big hit. The same could be done with a christmas tree or snowman. Just thought I'd give you another idea.

Hi, I am a teacher and a mom to a 2nd grader, kindergartner and a 1 1/2 year old. Each year, we like to combine a gift card with a homemade gift. I cut out cardstock in the shape of a bookmark, have the kids decorate it, and then have it laminated (only costs few dollars for an entire sheet at Office Depot). Then I attach a pretty ribbon to the top with a jingle bell and include it with a gift card to the local bookstore. Have fun with it!

Hi and I too am a teacher and I love to get personalized cards. I actually starting making some and have website if you like to take a peek www.frecklesandspeckles.etsy.com. I have listed a coupon on mamasource. Thanks and let me know if I can help in anyway:)

Hi R.!
Having teachers in my family, I know they have dozens of coffee cups. However, everyone loves candles! I make soy candles as gifts for my grandson's teachers for Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving. Why not paraffin - allergies, black soot, toxic because they're made from petroleum. Soy is clean, go green, biodegradable, nontoxic. Besides, they're easy enough to make that your child can help - it makes it more personal.

As a teacher, I always appreciated a heartfelt card. It is not too often that teachers really hear thank you from the parents/children (just like parents don't often hear it from their kids!). But as far as gifts go, I think gift cards are wonderful and they don't need to be high in value to be appreciated. I like the idea of a gift card to a bookstore. That way the teacher can by books for the class...a win win situation! When I was growing up, my mom always gave our teachers a potted plant, something I would also enjoy. Whatever you decide, make sure it matches the teacher. One of my favorite gifts I received was a scarf from Lands End that was personalized with my name on it. I got to wear it during yard duty and it kept me warm. I can't tell you how sad it makes me when parents spend their money on "spa" gift baskets, perfume, CHOCOLATE (I get too much to even eat in a year!) and snow globes. All these things end up going to Goodwill.

Hello R.:

Choosing a gift of that appeals to everyone is a tough task!
A protocal we friends follow is to give a gift album rather than buying a gift.This has many advantages such that the person can order any gift of his/her choice from the album, this avoids duplication of gifts.
Also the person doesn't even come to know about the cost of the gift as he only gets the "album" that is already paid for.
That way you need not worry if the person likes the gift and all this at your "convenient cost".Isn't tht cool?

check this website and the album would be delivered to your doorstep:

rpalnitkar.ordermygift.com

Give the best gift this christmas..as we all always do..

proud to be with mamasource-Friend

For our preschool years we combined funds from many of the families to make gift baskets that included gift cards to local coffee stores and shops along with a specialty bath product.

For Kindergarten, I made a handknit scarf and plan to do the same for 1st grade. I track the colors that the teacher wears and her personal style and try to match that. My feeling is that the handmade scarf is a way to acknowledge the special effort the teacher makes to ensure our son is successful...he has some challenges in the classroom.

A neighbor gave a teacher a fleece throw and the teacher commented it was the most useful gift she had every received.

Looks like you've got some great ideas to choose from and the hand made card from the student seals the deal!

Hi R.,

Teachers love gifts they can share with their students. These kinds of gifts come in all price ranges, shapes, and sizes. Suggestions: a book appropriate to grade level or a gift certificate to a bookstore, a special toy like Bead Box for motor skills, a game or puzzle for the classroom. In my store we're getting pre-planted seeds in a pot--boxed with cute graphics. Everyone could watch the plant grow---you could make this yourself with your son. One year we were in a tight spot financially, so we gave each of our kids' teachers baskets of pinecones with a box of long matches. I had the baskets and the kids and I collected the pinecones. Then we wrapped them in cellophane with a bow. Use your imagination. Stay away from perfumes, lotions, coffee cups, food, and writing paper/notes, and ornaments...we get alot of those. Have fun...it's Christmas!

N. (a retired teacher, now a gift store owner!)

I am a teacher and this is what I like to get:

stuff for the classroom-games, books, supplies
Starbucks cards or Jamba juice
home made goodies

Hope that works for you!

1 / 3