What to Get a 6 Year Old Boy for His Birthday?

My son's best friend is having a party Friday evening. He will be 6. This kid has everything under the sun! He has tons of legos, movies, video games, electric cars... just to name a few. I want to get him something $20 and under, but that would be age appropriate and fun. Any suggestions?

My boys love Nano Hexbugs http://www.hexbug.com/
They're 7 & 10 but we've been getting them for a while now. The starter set is around $20.
We all love them a lot around here!

How about a wallet with whatever character he is into with a $10-$20 gift card in it? At that age, a Target or Toys R Us gift card in a wallet!!! He will remember who gave him that one! I guarantee it... That is the age that they are craving independence and choosing his own present will be a memory maker!

Subscription to a kids magazine like National Geographic Kids or Ranger Rick - fun, educational, and IME kids *love* getting their own mail :-)

We all love them a lot around here!

What about getting him a bagful of fun? Go to the dollar store & have your son pick out some of the parachute guys, some silly string, water pistols, silly putty, some spy or magic stuff - kids love that kind of stuff and the best part is you don't even have to spend $20. I'd just give his parents a heads up first and ask them what he is allowed to have.

Target/Walmart gift cards, or a bookstore. My son loves gift cards. They can shop on their own. Also, Five Guys gift card, yogurt or ice cream, or a favorite resturaunt.

My six year old is really into beyblades. other than that a gift card is a great idea or money what kid doesnt like money

We got my daughter's friend a Cars2 camping chair for his 5th birthday. It seemed to go over well - something useful with characters on it :o)

A $20 gift card to a movie theater.

I have noticed at birthday parties my grandson attends, one boy always gives a gift card - usually to Toy R Us - the recipient always seems happy to receive it. I think the birthday boy/girl is usually a little overwhelmed with all the gifts they receive - and it's nice to know that the can go and pick out something they want that maybe they didn't get.

I usually just take my son shopping and have him pick out something for his friend that he thinks he'll like. We give gift receipts with the gift.

Books. Early readers might be best.

Outdoor toys/water stuff for the pool? New goggles ( we constantly lose or misplace) , dive sticks, squirt guns....

A football, a nerf basketball & hoop, a small skateboard or scooter, a sleeping bag, a tent....things (almost) all boys would like--even if it's a duplicate.

OR a gift card to a bookstore!

How about a terrarium? My 5 yo thinks it's awesome to go out and catch bugs. I bought him a little inexpensive terrarium that we put together. And it gets us out of the house. Lightening bugs are his favorite right now. :)