What to Get a 4-Month Old for Christmas

I just have no idea what I really truly need for my 4-month old. I would like to be somewhat prepared for what is ahead. Any ideas of what items really came in handy to have for your baby?

my little guy is only 3 months old. I put bigger clothes, teething toys, and board books under the tree for him... I would think bath toys and even baby spoons would be good also... they will probably be using those soon!

A friend of mine has an excersaucer, her 5 month old loves it! Or even tummy time toys!

Well my son started playing with bath toys around 5 months so you can do that sort of stuff for the stocking. such as rubber duckie, wash clothes, at target they have great toys for the bath time. and they also have a bath toy storage thing that sticks on the wall of the bath tub. thats what i am getting my son. Since i have bath toys all over. so i hope this all helps. for christmas presents i would do clothes, books, learning things.
-C.

The absolute BEST thing my baby has she got at 4 months, and it's still her favorite toy (at 11 months. Everything else she is bored of):

TyBooks!!

They are baby books that are made of absolutely indestructible stuff, but they feel like paper (as you know, babies love to crinkle paper). They are so great, I think every parent should have a set. Besides, reading to your infant is one of the most important things you'll do these early years, and most baby books are just not really that great when it comes to babies wanting to handle them. These can literally be chewed on.

You can buy them online or at local stores (there's a list on their website)

www.tybookinc.com

Are you using one of those bucket type infant car seats? You will need a bigger one at some point! You can get it now and start using it whenever. Some convertible car seats are actually good from birth (5 pounds) up and I know people who have skipped the bucket seat altogether. Those infant seats may seem convenient (until your back aches from carrying it!), but can cause babies to get a flat spot on the back of their heads and oxygen intake is restricted when sleeping in there. Just make sure you have a great sling or Ergo carrier to put baby in when you walk around. You want to minimize the time they spend in a car seat, it's way better for them to be attaced to a person and learn to see the world.

That is the second thing I suggest: an Ergo carrier. Look online. They are superior to the baby bjorn in every way and can be used until the child is 4 if you want! Also if you do not already own it, this is the best baby book ever: The Baby Book by Dr William Sears, go get a copy!

High chair will be useful soon, whenever you start feeding solids (usually after 6 mos). Excersaucer could be useful if you have the space, but not totally necessary. My little guy was crawling at that age so I think that is coming soon. Any toy that encourages a baby to reach out and go after it, rolling and moving ones are great. I like musical toys too. Baby Einstein makes some nice ones. Clothes, but think ahead.

I just looked at pictures to see what we got our son the year he was 6 mos old... stacking cups, teething toys, board books, tub toys, peek a blocks train and sorting blocks toy (where shapes go into the right hole in main cube, he could immediately put the blocks into the top hole and dump them out!), and I think we got a high chair then too.

If you are on a budget, try a resale shop or wait until March and check out the Pass It On sale! You can get tons of great deals on gently used things from clothes to strollers and save yourself a ton of money. You could wait until then to get a high chair or excersaucer or walker, there are always a ton of those and of course clothes galore. Get on the mailing list in the meantime! You can also sign up a a New Mom and get to shop the night before it opens to the public! http://www.passitonsales.com

HTH! Happy holidays!

I absolutely LOVED having an exersaucer. It's great because the kid enjoys doing things in it and you can get something done with both hands and eyes (can't remember what age they start, but I got my son one for his first christmas when he was 5 months old). Also, a doorway jumper is great. My son LOVED to jump around in it.

check out oompa toys. they have some really wonderful natural toys at a pretty good price!

-C.

My 7 month old loves playing with blocks - knocking them down, spilling them out of the container, and chewing on them - natural wood ones so I feel good about her having them in her mouth, instead of all the plastic.

HI T.,

I have a 4 month old as well and am planning to get her an exer-saucer or a jumper-gym type item. She is just starting to sit well enough to start using them soon so if you don't have one yet it could be a good idea. I also have just discovered "Baby Legs" they are sold at Target online and at Punky Doodlebugs in Vancouver. If you don't know what they are they are full legth leg warmers and they are so cute. I put them on her with onsies and she has a complete outfit. I put them under her trousers when we went to town the other day and I changed her in the car with the car door open so i could stand on the curb to change her. it was a cold day and I took her trousers off and left her baby legs on and changed her and the only thing exposed to the cool air was her bum. I guess they are more a gift for you but they are soooo cute for the baby. I love clothes so I think it is never too young to get clothes for them. The other thing about baby legs is that they can wear the same pair until they are 3-4. What other baby clothing item can they wear that long. Well i hope these two suggestions get your ideas rolling for gifts for the little one.

Sincerly,
Check out my store at www.loopsdesigns.com

1 / 3