What to Feed Almost 8 Month Old Baby??

OK well I am so lost on what to feed my daughter. She is getting formula and stage one veggies but she seems ready for more! The pediatricain gave me a list but it really didn't make sense. What did/do you moms feed your 8 month old babies. I want to start giving her more but I'm not sure where to start. A little advice would be wonderful! Thanks so much in advance

Thanks Moms!!!! I really appreciate all your advice and tips. I will be starting a new menu and schedule this weekend!! thanks again and have a great Memorial Day

My daughter is 7 months old and she is on stage 2 food. She will be starting on table food about 9-10 months so the dr said. Like cheese, yogurt, things like that. I am sure she will be going to stage 3 at any time now. At breakfast I feed her cereal/oatmeal and some fruit, snack is usually fruit, lunch is veg and fruit, then snack of veg or fruit, then dinner is cereal/oatmeal and veg. Of course she still takes her bottle between those times as well. I think I am going to have to move her up soon to stage 3 since I think she is getting bored with her menu. I used to mix her cereal/oatmeal with formula but now I do it with apple juice and she LOVES it. Eats it all.

Hi J.:
We made all of our baby food at that stage - it's so easy to mash up some bananas and throw them in a bowl. (and cheaper with less waste!) Just introduce one new food at a time and wait for a few days to see if it's OK. Then you can mix them together for new textures and flavors. This really comes in handy when you're introducing veggies or other non-sweet foods -- mix them with something sweet and it works really well. My mom would cringe at the pineapple/mash potato mixture, but baby loved it...and now she eats potatoes plain with no problem.
Some things that made it into our food processor:
Mangos
Avacados
Sweet potatoes
Pumpkin
Mixed veggies
Squash
Blueberries
Pineapple
Apples
Potatoes
Mix any of the fruits with some baby cereal and breastmilk/formula once a day so she's getting the added iron she needs. If you get one of those mesh food holders, you can also give her orange slices and other large pieces of fruit -- our baby LOVED tasting new flavors and it was less work for us without worrying about choking. Have fun and good luck!

Hi J.!

Isn't it so confusing how, what, and when to feed your baby?! I found it so stressful at times; making sure he's getting enough, does he need more vegetables!

My son was on Stage 2 baby food by 7-8 months, and Stage 3 at 9-10 months. Around 7 months, I gave my son fruit and cereal for breakfast, vegetables for lunch, and a dinner jar for dinner, along with all his bottles.

At around 9 months, my pediatrician had me introduce "table food"; mac and cheese, yogurt, etc. By 11 months, by son was no longer on baby food at all.

Just remember, feeding your baby now is just practice for her! She is getting ALL her nutrients she needs from her formula. She's just learning how to eat. So it isn't "that" important how much and what she gets. I also always fed my son when we ate and gave him some of what we were eating-mashed potatoes, bread crust, corn cobs(great for teething!), etc. It made the transition from jar to table food (and my life!!) so much easier.

I also have an 8 mo. old, and I am a bit picky on what he eats. We started veggies around 6 months, then moved on to fruits. We make it ourselves--takes a little longer, but it's easy and cheap. Bananas, prunes, peaches, pears, applesauce are great for starters (just look at the grocery and see what they have). If you want to branch out from jar food, I have found mango and avacado to be a big hit with my son, and easy to prepare. We pureed his food for a while, then slowly processed it less until he was used to that texture. He now eats small bite-size pieces of very soft fruits and steamed veggies--baby peas are great because he can pick them up one by one. If it's not soft enough, I run it through a food mill (Babies-R-Us sells them). He also eats baby oatmeal, small pieces of whole wheat toast with a little butter, tiny abc pasta, cheerios, and pieces of graham cracker for a special treat. Just this week I gave him pieces of rice cake, which were a nutritious hit. By pieces, I mean nothing bigger than the tip of his pinky. I'm holding off on dairy and meat until his 9 mo. check up. I hope this helps!

My son turned 8 months on the 12th. I have been feeding him the stage 2 foods for a little over a month. I have started him on the stage 3 foods for dinner. I also give him the fruit/veggie puffs. I give him bites of our mashed potatoes, popsicles, ice cream. If she is making chewing movements without any food I would say she is ready for more then the stage 2 foods. Good Luck

Hello J.

You can feed your daughter stage two food you can mix it they do have food like turkey and rice or beef and rice or veggey meals if can even give her a little table food I say this because I have a 71/2 month old son and he eat any and everything plus I have 3 girls and I did them the same way

It sounds like you have already gotten a lot of godd advice. I gave both of my babies a lot of the same things everyone else is talking about. One thing I started was making and freezing my own food so that you always have some on hand. I bought several extra ice cube trays at the $ store. About every two weeks or so, I would buy a whole supply of fruits and veggies, both fresh and canned (green beans, carrots, peaches, pears, and fruit cocktail in light syrup, etc.). It takes a couple of days to cook, puree, and freeze it all, but then you have about a two week supply. I would cook all the veggies and fruits if needed (canned things don't need cooked), then puree in the blender or food processor, and pour into ice cube trays. Freeze the trays of food and when frozen, store in labeled ziploc bags. When it comes time for eating, just grab as many cubes as you need and let them thaw. (I used the microwave even though I know people tell you not to do that, but in a pinch sometimes you have to.) With the cubes, you can mix all kinds of things to give them new tastes. Once I started offering meat, I also ground up chicken and turkey and froze it as well so that you can mix that in with fruits and veggies. I also have a baby food grinder that my mom bought for me. I believe you can get them at Babies R Us. At around 8-9 months, I started grinding up everything that we were eating so that they could get the tastes and get used to the things that we eat. Both of my boys are very good eaters and it never harmed them to taste what we were eating. I hope you can use my ideas.

Anything that is stage 2 or 3. When we took my son to his 9 month check up, the doctor told us we could start with "big" people food. We plan on doing the samr for our daughter. She is 6 months old & has had several stage 2 already.

1 / 3