What to Feed a Child with Diarrhea?

My 20 month old had the stomach flu on Thursday and Friday, was still lethargic on Saturday, and fine today, but she had diarrhea this afternoon and still isn't eating much. She hasn't vomitted since Friday night and hasn't had milk since Thursday. She cannot tolerate pedialyte for one second, nor the wal-greens brand, so our doc said to mix half gatorade and half water. That's all she's been drinking and today she ate 2 bites of ham and 2 bites of an apple for lunch, and 4 bites of chicken breast and 4 bites of rice for dinner. I know she's probably still a little queasy though. So what do you feed a child with diarrhea, and when can she go back to milk again?

use what they call a "brat" diet. bananas, rice, applesauce, toast. keep them bland and unseasoned but are all good for not making the diarrhea worse and getting something in the stomach again. fluids are most important-especially the gatorade. stay away from fruits and juices like prune, peach, apricot, apple, grape for now as they can cause diarrhea and be harsh on an empty stomach. yes, apple juice and applesauce do opposite things! don't ask me why! hope this helps.

S. m

The BRAT diet is the best, I would just add that the Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast be served plain. Fat (in sauces for rice or butter for toast) can irritate an upset GI tract.

As she gets better at eating the BRAT diet you can start to incorporate other foods to see if she's feeling better. Her appetite will also clue you in as to when milk can be served again (i.e. when she starts eating well she can probably have milk too).

Try giving toast and bland things. You don't want to push her tummy to much. Jello is good to. That will help keep her hydrated, but don't give red jello, incase the vomiting starts again so you won't misake it for blood. I wouldn't push the eating issue to much, as long as she's drinking enough. I also wouldn't give milk again until the diarrhea has stopped for a few days.

Put her on the BRATS diet for a couple of days and she should feel better (assuming it is just the flu).

Bananas
Rice
Applesauce
Toast

Make sure she is getting plenty of good fluids. Wait on milk until she is 24-48 hrs without a loose stool.

If she likes Jello, the gelatin will firm up her stool, but it is good to let diarrhea run it's course and get it out of her system.

Good luck :)

BRAT diet.... Bananas, rice, applesauce, toast.... all binding and good for diarrhea!

Hey Christy, you've gotten good advice on what to feed your daughter. I just thought I'd let you know that my ped. told us that it is normal for a child of that age to have diarrhea for up to 14 days after recovering from the stomach flu. So, if she is feeling better and eating/drinking good, don't be alarmed if it takes a little while for her bowel movements to get back to normal. :) My son woke up this morning throwing up, too -- it's going around, I just hope it doesn't hit the rest of our family on Christmas! :) Take care.

S. m

We always follow the BRAT diet too. Hope that helps.

Our dr reccomended yogurt with cultures when my daughter had a similar stomach bug a few weeks ago.

The BRAT diet (bananas, apples, rice and toast)used to be the recommended diet for diarrhea but, now the research shows that it really doesn't matter. AS LONG AS YOU ARE PUSHING THE FLUIDS. That is really the most important part. There are lots of recipes for "ORAL REHYDRATION SOLUTION" that you can find on the web for kids who are throwing up. When kids are having lots of diarrhea and vomiting, they lose a lot of sodium so that is the main electrolyte to replenish.
It sounds like you really don't need to worry about that with your little one now, though. It sounds like she is recovering well - those 'bites' of food she has kept down are actually impressive. Her appetite will come back gradually. Keep it bland and give her what she likes along with lots of fluids til then.
BTW, I am a Nurse Practitioner. GOOD LUCK!!

1 / 3