What to Expect from Stopping Breastfeeding

What should I expect from my body when I discontinue breastfeeding. I have been weaning my 10 month old very slowly- she seems to be doing well w/it. Today is the last time I will pump/nurse. What should I expect?

You can expect that you may still need to pump one more time to relieve any congestion. Also, I found myself calling the LeLeche League (very helpful website as well) because I had migraines for almost 2 weeks. I had migraines early in my pregnancy also so expect hormonal changes which may be intense. Lastly, I did feel alittle bit of guilt but ultimately I am glad that I stopped (did so when my baby was 6 months and I worked full-time).

Hi C.- I weaned all 4 of my kids between 13 and 16 mo. I dropped a feeding every week or 2 weeks and had no issues in regards to engorgement or discomfort. All 4 of my kids also weaned very easily (they led the process). I have heard slow and steady wins the race
Beth

I didn't have any issues whatsoever. Like the previous poster, remember that you're burning fewer calories. Just pay attention to your appetite, and maybe step up the intensity of your exercise for a week or so to balance out your appetite and eating habits.

Beth

Since you've been weaning slowly then you shouldn't feel any pain, engorgement issues or leaking. The one thing I wasn't prepared for was how emotional I became after she was weaned. I missed nursing alot more than I thought I would.

I would wait to wean her until 12 months. When I weaned my children I waited until I was doing only 1 feeding a day. I still had a lot of engorgement, blocked milk glands & pain. It lasted about 2 weeks. To help with the blocked glands I would take a really hot shower & work the lumps out by massaging it under the hot water. Also, once you wean expect to gain some weight unless you start exercising. You burn about 400-500 caleries from breat feeding a day.

If you have been weaning your baby very slowly, you should not experience any problems when she finally stops for good. Perhaps a bit of leaking occasionally, but certainly nothing more. Since I do not know how you define slowly, I can't be more specific. What you think is slow, may, in fact, be more rapid. In that case, I'd be on the lookout for engorgement and treat it immediately - before it becomes more serious - by applying warm compresses and expressing the milk.

I didn't really notice much of anything when I stopped nursing/pumping. Except, of course, FREEDOM! I don't really remember any specific physical issues. Good luck.

As long as you are weaning slowly you shouldn't have too much pain. I weaned a little too quickly and was in quite a bit of pain for about 3 weeks. I stopped breastfeeding at about 7 and a half months and was actually quite happy to get my body back. I also lost some weight after I stopped. I just didn't feel as hungry after I stopped and I read somewhere that your body holds onto some of that weight while breastfeeding. Good luck!

I am a mother who breastfed until my son was three and since he was older there wasn't much to it. I felt emotional and sad that we had ended something so personal. You will probably just feel sad and your baby (because he or she is still a baby) will probably be upset for a little while. I am not sure why you are weaning but your milk supply is not has much as when they are newborns so you shouldn't feel much physical change. I would recommend finding a book about weaning and your baby. Good luck!

P.S. Oh yeah, I always recommend Le Leche League. Women leading women.

1 / 3