What to Expect After a D and C

It looks like I'll be having a D and C next week and I'd like to know what I can expect afterwards, pain, bleeding, amount of time to get back on your feet. This will be my first and hopefully my last and I'd like to know what's going to happen. Thanks in advance.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my request. The D and C went well and I'm now at home recovering. All the advice was right on. It is just like a period, although my stomach feels as if it's been used as a punching bag! Thanks again.

hey,

i have been thru two d & c and its not like having surgery. you should be okay the next day just realy sore and very emotional. it will take you a few days to get over the soreness but other than that, you need someone to be with you the day of the d & c but thats it.

trust me i have been here and if you need someone to talk too i am here.

T. dempsey

Hi A.. I had a D & C several years ago and didn't have any real discomfort other than some cramping. I was extremely tired afterwards and slept for like 8 hours after I got home. My d&c was due to a miscarriage though. I hope everything works out for you and you recover well from yours. Good luck

I had a D & C a few years ago. I agree it was only as bad as a rough peroid BUT...I took the pain pills as soon as I got home and took another dose as soon as it was time for the first day. It may have been worse had I not taken the pain pills. Just take it easy and you'll be fine.

I had to have one done after the loss of a baby and I just took it easy over the weekend. Some cramping, like a period, but nothing bad.

Hope you do well.

I had a D and C almost five years ago after I miscarried a baby at 13 weeks. I had the D and C Thursday evening and went home within half an hour of waking up in the recovery room. My doctor gave me a prescription for Percocet, but I never took anything other than Advil for the pain. Actually did some driving on Friday afternoon and went back to work Monday (in a job where I was on my feet for most of five-six hours at a time). I bled for about 10 days; the first day or two were probably a little heavier than a "heavy" day of a regular period. After that it was progressively less and less and the last two or three days were mostly spotting. Don't know whether my experience was typical, but the emotional scars were a lot worse than the physical.

A..

Dont worry just a little cramping and with the bleeding it goes away faster if you are active. I had many d&c and hystorospy's. a total of 18 before i had a hysterectomy(best thing that ever happened to me!) (By the way i am not saying you will have one of these...lol...) I had alot of problems but i have 3 amazing boys. They are 21, 16, and 12. Don't worry at all. Usually the reason you have a dnc is because of excessive bleeding. I was fine the next day to go back to work. Light duty couldnt pick heavy things up till the doctor cleared me. Truth be told i have only good things to say about the procedure. The cramping didn't last long, it felt like a bad period, and the more you walk the faster you recover. I only went to bed because of the medicines they gave me. Listen to your doctor and your body. Don't worry this is an eazy procedure.

Bye the way i was put out for all of the procedures...If your nervious i highly recomend it...lol

I had a d and c about 5 years ago and it wasnt bad. No lifting any for awhile but i cramped for about2 days and i ws back to work that same week. Good luck and god bless.

I've had 2 due to pregnancy losses and it's really not that bad. I had an IV and was put out for the surgery, however I actually went for breakfast on my way home from the hospital. I was a little groggy that day, but went to work the very next day. The 2nd one was emotional for me, but the procedure was surprisingly easy. I did bleed for about a week afterward.

1 / 3