What to Dress a 13 Month Old at Night

Hi, we live in northern california where, of late, our house gets down to 60 degrees or so at night. My little one wakes up in the morning with cold feet (we put socks on, but they slide off) and hands, but a warm trunk. We usually dress her in her sleep sack (heavy duty organic cotton ones), with cotton pj's. Is she dressed warm enough? My husband says yes, since her trunk is warm, and she doesn't wake up, but i'm wanting to hear from other folks - especially those in the area - both their thoughts and how they keep their babes warm at night.

Definately sounds warm enough to me. You don't want them to be too warm either. I think that you are fine, and woudn't do anything different. If her socks are coming off, it may be that she is kicking them off. I wouldn't worry about it!

My DD sleeps in a sleep sack too and wakes up with cold hands. If she doesn't wake up crying from being cold then I wouldn't worry about it.

Try heavier fleece footed pj's with a fleece blanket sleeper.

Get a fleece halo sleepsack. Or fleece pajamas. This will be warmer. Just ask yourself would you want cold hands feet etc. while sleeping. Your daughter needs a blanket (sack) on just like you. A cotton sack is more like a sheet. You will want her to sleep in something warmer than you because she doesn't have the body heat from your husband like you do. Also her head is bigger proportionally than her body and she loses lots of heat through the head. She will probably sleep deeper and longer when warm. I wouldn;t worry about her getting to warm. She is old enough now that SIDS is not a factor. Also it is easy to see when she is too warm she will get sweaty. I would worry about getting her too cold you are lowering her immune system by having her body fight to keep warm rather than fight off bad stuff. That her trunk is still warm just means she is still alive. Her body will always try to keep trunk warm to protect vital organs. This is NOT a sign of her being comfortable or warm enough. If her feet are cold then she is clearly not warm enough.

Our house only gets down to about 65-66 and my daughters room is the coldest in the house, so it's probably a degree or two cooler. I layer my 2 yr old daughter in a shirt or summer shorty pj's, socks, then a fleece footed pj and finally a fleece sleepsack. Fleece is so much warmer than cotton! She wakes up warm and is never overly hot or sweaty. She is still in a crib. Once she is successfully in a bed, not so much layering of clothing will be needed since I can also layer blankets. We aren't moving much as we sleep and so we don't generate as much body heat as if we were being active. We have to keep ourselves warm with clothing or blankets. Besides I know I sleep so much better if I'm warm. IT takes me forever to fall asleep with cold feet so I have booties I heat in the microwave and put on my feet to sleep in the winter. I fall asleep asap!

If her trunk is cold, she's hypothermic and needs to go to the hospital.

Keep adding warm layers until she starts to sweat and subtract the last layer.

If you don't want to get a fleece sleep sack, try putting her in two of the cotton ones. When I only had one fleece sleep sack I'd layer my daughter in two cotton ones and that seemed to do the trick. (I also live in Northern CA, and our house is cold at night!)

I've also always used the footed PJs in the winter.

It gets pretty cold in our house too. I put our children in the footed pajamas. Not the thin cotton ones for summer but the thick ones for winter. Some of the WalMart winter footed pajamas are too thin. The ones I get, especially for our daughter, are the fuzzier ones because they are warmer. You may have to search around online if you can't find them in the stores. If your daughters feet still get too cold in a footed pajama then you should put sock on her before putting the footed pajamas on her. I've done that many times before. If you are talking about an actual sleep sack and not footed pajamas, those things have a lot of airflow in them and will not keep her as warm. You want something that will stay snug to her body to keep her body heat in.

1 / 3