What to Do with Teen for Summer??

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what to do with a 14 year old for the Summer? She is a great kid but I cringe thinking she will be sleeping until Noon every day. I've contacted volunteer programs and they will not take her, too young and summer camps (not sleep away) too old!

What about working at the library? Or is she interested in working for the ymca with day camps? Maybe lifeguarding?

These are things I did when I was 16-18 but you never know.

All the best

A. C,
I know I have a 15yo.
Do you know any other single or married moms who could use an extra pair of hands? Either she could get paid or do some helping out for the sake of helping. It is good for kids to learn that.
Getting a Mom's day or a few hours would be wonderful for a mom who is feeling a little over whelmed. Too many of us live too far from family and have little support.

Hello A. C,
My neighbor has a horse farm. During the summer parents bring their kids to her. She teaches them to ride the horses as well as take care of them. I don't know what the charge is, but it's worth checking out. The kids have a great time learning.
Welcome to Central Florida. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 17 years before moving here in 93. You'll love it here better. Hope something works out for you.
I also teach CPR certification for babysitters if she wants to babysit.
Sandi D
www.childseniorsafety.com

Try checking with local churches to see if they have summer youth group activities (I believe Sanlando UMC has a large program and would be nearby). A lot of times, these provide kids with a variety of activities, mission work , and community volunteer opportunities- often with transportation if needed. Another option: Super Suppers of Winter Springs has cooking classes and summer programs for kids over 12. I don't have personal experience with this, but it may be worth looking into... Best of luck!

Hi! Check out options in the sciences and arts. There are lots of opportunities for camps, apprenticeships and some internships at the Orlando Repertory Theater (the finest in childrens and family theater). Regardless, The REP can always use volunteers, even young teens! She might still be young enough for their summer camps and theater productions. I believe the science center works with young teens (13-17) in certain roles/areas. I would recommend checking those two. The REP is www.orlandorep.com. The science center's website escapes me. I think they do fun camps too! Good luck!

All the best

Thank you for sharing. I live in Casselberry, Fl. My daughter lives in Winter Springs. Everyone, just about, calls me G. Kathy, or mama Kathy. I am 62 yrs. young. Ha What do you think about involving the girls in summer activities at church. We go to Northland, in Longwood, on dogtrack rd. Also, you might think about the Y---most importantly, love goes a long way.Perhaps the three of you could plan activities for the afternoon or evening. Please respond to me. I love children. I have grandchildren and great grandchildren. Maybe, I can help in some way.----in God's love..G. Kathy

At her age, some camps will accept her as a CIT (Counselor in Training)-- she will go for free and act as a helper. I started this at the age of 13, but every camp is different on their age requirements. She also may be able to get a job-- most places hire at an older age, but a mom-and-pop type restaurant or shop may hire her for a few hours here and there to keep her busy. How responsible is she and does she do well with kids? Do you know anyone with elementary aged kids she can babysit? She can earn a few bucks and the parents won't have to pay for camp for every week throughout the summer. There are Red Cross classes offered for babysitters to get her well prepared.

I don't know how much of a help I can be to you, but I have a 17 year old and we went through the same thing. She was always too old.

Is your daughter into art?
If so, try the Crealde School of Art, the Science Center or History Center (Downtown). She may be able to be a volunteer for some of the younger children if there aren't any classes for her. You should sign up soon.
You can also check the YMCA and see if she can volunteer there. For any interested or motivated teenager that wants to help out, I think they should be able to find something for her to do.

Good luck to you both.

Regards,
J. Dill

Oh, what about babysitting. Other parents will be in the same boat. She could easily watch a young child at their home during the day. I know some parents would appreciate that since summer programs can be costly.

1 / 3