What to Do with Stuffed Animals - New Caney,TX

We are moving and my daughter has a ton of stuffed animals that I don't know what to do with. Throwing them away just seems like such a waste, but I don't know if anyone will take them as a donation since they are used. Anyone have any ideas??

Mom, if she is ok with giving them up and they are in good shape take them to a thrift store like Goodwill or even a local food bank as a donation. They will be very appreciative and it will make a young child happy to get one.

Most of my repsonses have been covered. Police & fire dept will accept new/almost new stuffed animals. I've been told that Goodwill & Salvation Army are very particular about toys/animals recently with so many recalls. For more worn out ones you could try a local zoo or animal shelter.
Congrats on lightening the moving load

My local thrift stores always have lots of stuffed animals for sale, some in great condition and some not so good. They typically put a few in a bag and sell the whole bag for cheap. I asked the cashier about it once and she said that almost all the people who buy the bags are buying them for toys for their dogs. So what shape the toys are in might not be so important.

Well its the perfect time of year to give them away. Check with your local fire department I think they collect them up this time of year for disadvantaged children or orphanage. Also your local police station as well. I think someone else already posted that before but they give those away to the unfortunate child that has to be a witness to one of their patrol calls no matter what the situation is.

I use to collect stuffed Teddy Bears from the time I was a little child. When it was time to part with them I gave them to the Child Advocacy Center in my area. I would ask your local law enforcement agency if they have one in your area. This is an agency that interviews children that have been victims of any crime or witnesses. The stuffed animals help them feel safe and gives them a new friend to take home.

All used stores and consignment shops will take them unless looking really ratty or dirty.

In some communities the police department will take them. Officers keep them on hand in case they have to take a child into custody.

Check with your local childrens hospital

Your local Goodwill should take them. My dd's Daisy troop did a field trip to our Goodwill last year. They told us they have a spray that they use on all the stuffed animals to disinfect them.

I heard that sprinkling a little baking soda on each of them freshens them up. You can check out your local freecycle network, and post them to give away. I've seen posts giving away stuffed animals. Just google "freecycle," and it will have a place where you can find your local network. I also know that Goodwill takes donations of stuffed animals, because I saw an Elmo at one recently, among other stuffed animals. I like the other ideas on here. The clinic would be great, or a children's hospital (if the stuffed animals are not worn and can be cleaned well). I did find someone looking for stuffed animals for their dog on freecycle, and I gave them some of our really worn ones. So that is also a possibility, rather than contributing to a landfill. I appreciate your concern for the environment, and for also wanting to help others out. Good luck with your move!

Donate them to either a church or the fire department.

1 / 3