What to Do with Dirty Diapers?

My little girl is almost 4 months old. She is our first. We have a garbage pail with a lid right now in the baby room that we are tossing the dirty diapers in. We are reusing our plastic bags we get from the grocery store in the pail. It is small so we need to take it out almost every day. Right now our little girl sleeps in our room. She is getting ready to move to the crib pretty soon. My concern is the smell that sometimes seems to creep up on us from the diaper pail. Once she is sleeping in the same room as the diaper pail I don't want that stench to be there for her. What are your thoughts on diaper genies and are there any other ideas as to taking care of the diapers and not having the stench?

Thank you to everyone for your help!! We now put the diapers in the kitchen garbage which is in a closet and we take that garbage out once a day! I also put a deoderizer in the baby room for diaper changes.

Diaper Genies are wonderful to hold down odor! They do need to be emptied when they get full. Do you have garbage service? or do you take to a landfill or dumpster? My kids grew up with cloth diapers-garbage and stench were not an issue!

As my son's stools became more solid, I've taken to dumping the poop out of the diaper into the toilet before throwing it away in the trash, that majorly helps. Another alternative until then...we've used a cooler as the diaper pail that has a really good seal and contains it well (and no, the cooler will not be used for drinks again :D )

We started off with those little blue scented bags that roll out of the cute little ducky dispenser and threw them into the regular garbage, emptying it outside often. That worked OK. We received a couple of different diaper pails as gifts, but everywhere I've ever gone, it seems like you could smell them a mile away, so I regifted before even giving them a chance. My son is almost 2 and I've just been using the cheap zipper sandwich (or quart if needed - heehee) bags for quite a while now. Since we've never had any kind of stench, I'm really happy with this "system".
Good luck to you!

Just another option to throw out- you can now get flushable diaper inserts. They are called g diapers. It's basically a cloth cover, plastic snap in liner and then a flushable insert. I'm finding they work great for my 2 month old. They are available at most natural food coops- they are a bit pricier than disposables but they are good for the environment and they won't stink up the nursery! For more info: www.gdiapers.com I have a bunch of $2 off coupons email me with your address if you'd like me to send you one!

We tried the diaper genie with our five yr old, I know that was a while ago, and they may have improved it, but we hated it. After a week, we donated everything to the Goodwill, refills and all. We just take them out to the garbage right away. My health club does have the Diaper Champ, which seemed to work really well, but we think running them to the garbage really isn't that bad, and it's free, no refills! Also check the reviews on Amazon.com or see if there are any complaints on Complaints.com We use those two quite a bit now before making a purchase of any kind.

I have a diaper champ and love it. You use regular kitchen bags and we haven't had any trouble with smells at all, and at the moment it's in our bedroom, so I would notice.

I think diaper pails are a waste of money and seldom work (I tried 3 different kinds). I put the poopy diapers in a plastic bag and put them out in the trash immediately outside. As for the other ones I just had one plastic bag right outside my door in the garage where I put them each day and at the end of the night threw that bag out in the garbage.

I had a diaper genie and I hated it. If you didn't change it every 2 days or so the stench leaked out. He is now 13 months old today and I just take throw them in the big garbage and take it out everyday. I have also used the disposable diaper bags that are scented and they worked fairly well. Good Luck!

When I got a Diaper Genie for a gift at my baby shower my first thought was..."what a gimmick...just another "big company" trying to make a few quick bucks". I left it in the box and used a regular diaper pail, with plastic garbage bags from the grocery store.
One day I happen to see the "genie" in the closet and thought..I might as well at least give it a try. I did, and am SOOOO glad I did. That "gimmick" was ingenius!! What a difference it made!! Well worth the money! I would totally recommend using one if you can!

I agree with the affordability of the plastic grocery bags, or even the long narrow bag the newspaper comes in when thrown at my doorstep. Lysol is your friend for odors, as well as a urinal cake inside diaper pail, and especially your outside garbage can to keep the smell and bugs/verman away. Both do an affordable job deodorizing. I also made it a habit of changing in the bathroom (Partly for psychological conditioning for toilet training) and dump the solid waste down the toilet before disposing of diapers. There is also the option of cloth diapers, though a bit more labor intensive.

I use the diaper genie 2 and really like it. It keeps the smell out and I dont have to empty it on a daily basis. It is a little difficult to open one handed sometimes, but it is nice to have.

1 / 3