What to Do with a 1.5 Yr Old on Halloween Night?

This will be my littleboy's first official Halloween(he was too young the 1st one). He is much more aware and interactive with his surroundings and I feel he will really enjoy the dressing up and the lights,etc..
What is there to do besides dressing him up and taking him trick or treating in the neighborhood???

On Halloween night, after trick or treating my one year old was POOPED! There are lots of fun things to do before Halloween - I would do some of those and just enjoy his first trip Trick or Treating!

My son turns 1 on Oct 20th so I'm thinking about taking him to the pumpkin patch in Flower Mound a couple days before (you can dress up before going there) for some fun photo opportunities, and then we're going with friends to Boo at the Zoo. (Check that out online)Kids dress up, they pass out candy there, and it feels safer than going around town. It would be Joe's 2nd trip to the zoo, so that would be a novelty on top of the costumes and candy.

The Shops at Willow Bend is also having a Halloween fun night for the kids on halloween from 5:30pm - 9pm.

The Legend of Spooky Willow - store to store trick-or-treating and Halloween activities, fun games, face painting, and storytime throughout the mall. FREE...

-Char

We chose church or community Fall Festivals and a trip to the pumpkin patch for our Halloween events.

Mine actually HATED their costumes at that age. It was so hot the past two Halloweens that we were only able to keep them in their costumes long enough to take pictures. By the time we snapped a few shots they were sweating, so they wore regular clothes after that :-).

Trick-or-treating the neighborhood might be iffy...There are often people who are dressed very scary, which can frighten young kiddos. Also, at his age, he won't likely be able to eat any of the loot. At the fall festival things there are a lot of little toy prizes rather than candy, and a better chance of some toddler-friendly activities, so he can enjoy the experience a little more.

My kids have always loved the pumpkin patch trips. There are often wagons to pull them around in, and they like playing on hay bales and running through the field of pumpkins to choose one to take home.

As some mentioned before alot of the churches have fall festivals with candy, games, etc. Also some of the libraries do things on Halloween as well.

Local Malls have indoor trick or treating. Call Collin Creek Mall in Plano, I know they did for our children in the past. Go to Target for the best costumes early!!!

I'd start early at home and make a theme dinner (check out Family Fun magazine or www.familyfun.com).

Then have him help you with the pumpkin if you do one, then trick or treat, then watch a movie together like Pooh's Halloween. While he's watching you can go through or get rid of his candy. He doesn't need much and you don't want to ruin his teeth and you want to make sure it's safe.

Then you can put him to bed with a story related to Halloween, there's lots of sweet stories that aren't scary. I used to read, In the Haunted House, which the kids loved and was a hoot. Not sure who wrote it but it was age appropriate and not scary.

Cottonwood Creek Baptist Church has a fall festival with age appropriate games and under 3 is free. Over 3 years is $5.00.
Lots of fun and they get a treat after each game.

1 / 3