What to Do with a 14 Yr Old over the Summer?

School will be ending soon and I am trying to find something for my 14 yr old daughter to do over the summer. Left to her own devices she will most likely sit in front of the TV, computer, or playstation all summer. I bought the Summer Book and there are some programs in the book but they only last a week or 2 and are quite expensive. She isn't ready to handle a full time summer babysitting job where she is in charge of someone else all day. We went through this same problem last year, but the things she was able to do last year she is too old for this year. I work full time and my commute is about an hour each way (from Spring to 1-10) so these things that start at 9 and end at 1 or 2 in the afternoon present a transportation problem. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

A friend of mine talks about how her father always had them volunteering over the summertimes to keep them out of trouble. She says, though they complained about it from time to time, overall it was a very positive experience and she learned a lot of valuable skills that she's used over the years since then. It also gave her a lot to put on her resume when the time came for that. So maybe have her help you find a place to volunteer, so she feels part of it.

I have a friend that had her daughter volunteer at one of the hospitals one year from the time she was 14 to the time she was 16. Her daughter made friends with other kids and really enjoyed it and now is going to BSU to get her BSN. Look around, and see if they still accept volunteers. And by the way, it was in Houston and Methodist Hospital and Texas Orthopedic Hospital.

My son always loved the YMCA day camp. They do tons of things with the kids all day. Swimming, archery, boating, lots of things. They keep them busy & most of it is outdoor stuff, weather permitting.

I suggest having her volunteer her time at any business(es)she might be interested. That would allow her to experience the real life environment without having the responsibility of making a job commitment. It will look good for her on scholorship applications and on a resume after graduation for a future job as well as future contacts/referrals.

This would be the best time to get with her friends and their parents to see if you guys can set up some type of plans to make her summer go nicely. Also make sure you pick one day out of the week where it's mother and daughter day that way,you both feel that the summer wasn't just about work and no fun. Call the place where she went to last year and see if she can help out there or maybe depending on your job see if there is something she can do there that involves working on the computer. Also it might seem like staying at home is so bad but if you can trust her give her a few days out of the months where she can stay home, just sit down with her and make a schedule where it works for the both of you.

Check with your local Parks and Recreation Center. Most cities provide a free summer program for children. At the age of 14, she would probably be considered a junior counselor. No pay involved but she would be able to participate in all of the activities while learning the responsibility of supervising younger children and building on her creativity (suggestions to cut the boredom in the younger ones). If she sticks with it, she would be eligible to receive compensation when she gets old enough. You can choose from a location close to either your home or your place of employment.

What about volunteer work at one of your community centers, churches, nursing home or something like that?

Do you attend a church? If so plug in to the events they have planned which usually include summer camp, vacation bible school and sometimes movies/skating etc....if you don't attend a church, then maybe there is one locally that you could ask about and plug her in there....

Usually there are summer camps or summer programs for kids like crafts/martial arts/pottery,cooking etc...in the our kids magazine that you pick up at the grocery store....

If none of this sounds good, do you have a friend w/ younger kid(s) that you could work something out w/ that she could be a helper/assistant around the house to your friend and maybe get paid a little money on the side? she wouldn't have the full responsibility of babysitting, but would be kind of like an apprentice....Or what about parents w/ a child her age that you could work something out with?
hope some of this helps...

V. Maldonado

Check ASU's Continuing Studies department. They usually have classes geared for her age covering various topics. I know one of them teaches babysitting skills. It might help her get a job in the future.

You could also see if there are any volunteer opportunities. I believe the Nature Center uses younger volunteers. Also, check with her school's counseling office to see if they have any opportunities.

What about her volunteering at your local library? I assisted the children's librarian at that age. It not only got me out of the house, I had something to put on my resume.

What are her classmates doing this summer? Maybe you could work out some sort of a deal with another mom in your neighborhood for help with transportation or supervision.

T.,

I have a 13 year old daughter and we live up in Killeen and had a very similar problem. I wanted to sign my daughter up for a summer program or let her go to the Boys and Girls Club, but she was having NOTHING of it. Instead she asked the daycare that my 4 year old son if she could volunteer there instead. She worked there every day absolutely free. She loved working with all the different kids and the daycare enjoyed the free labor. I too have started talking about this summer and she has stated that she wants to go back again. So perhaps check around and see if there are any volunteer jobs she would be doing to do. It is never too early to begin building community service and references for college scholarship applications.

Good luck! C.

1 / 3