What to Do with 3 to 5 Lbs of Various Types of Tomatoes?

My husband found some tomotoes growing in a field behind his office/shop. We went up and picked about 3 lbs or maybe even 5 lbs? Not really sure how much we have - but we have a lot of tomatoes. No way can we eat them in salads, burgers, blts, etc before they would go bad. Any suggestions on what I can do with them? And do you have a recipe to go with it?

thanks!

I wash them, toss them in a bag and put them in the freezer. When I want some for soup or sauce I pull them out. The skins just fall off when the thaw.

I have the same problem. So I made salsa (and thinking about canning them to preserved it), spaghetti sauce (freeze them), pizza sauce (freeze them). Those sauces use a lot of tomatoes ! And I'll steal some of the ideas just to blanched them and freeze them. I should have some more ripe from my garden any day now.

Spaghetti sauce, and or salsa would be what I would make with them all. Not sure about sauce recipe, something basic would work for me like olive oil, basil, oregano, and fresh garlic..Salsa, fresh salsa is wonderful and it only needs basic ingredients as well-onions, peppers, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice..

Make spaghetti sauce or salsa

I will sometimes just seed and dice them and freeze them that way...about 1 cup in a container. I can just take them out and put them in with store bought spaghetti sauce to make it a bit fresher, chunkier.

Depending on the type of tomato, you could also slice thin, brush with olive oil and then put them in a low oven to make sun-dried tomatoes. Yummy.

Have fun. D.

you can blanche and freeze them in freezer bags. Bring a pot of water to a boil, drop in tomatoes, let them boil for a minute (literally) - then scoop them out and drop them in a bowl of ice water immediately. Let them sit a minute, then all you have to do inpull the skin off (it makes the skin sort of slide right off) - Drop the tomatoes into a freezer bag, and pop them in the freezer.

You can use these bags over the winter in soups, stews, chili, cassaroles, spaghetti, etc.

We have a plethora of tomatoes so we are doing a lot of chili. We've also put them in stir fry (add juice but really just vanish) and mixed them in with burger meat or make a tomato/chicken/onions thing. In the UK, they also eat grilled tomatoes for breakfast. Sauce is another good idea.

I second the blanching and freezing idea, but first I would cut them at least into quarters, and maybe smaller. That way they'll be easier to use when you get ready. I use my frozen tomatoes in the fall/winter in spaghetti sauce or chili.

1 / 3