What to Do When "Rid" Isn't Getting Rid of the Lice??

Good morning moms! I need some help with head lice. My daughters have both had them for almost 2 weeks and RID doesn't seem to be killing them. I've gone through this before and know all of the other items that need to be done like washing bedding, toys, furniture, etc so that's not a problem. My oldest has the thickest hair alive, takes at least 3 hours to comb them out after treatment, and had just as many, if not more during the 2nd treatment. My youngest hasn't had many but they also haven't gone away. Just yesterday, I picked 7-8 nits & a live one from her before doing her hair. Seems I'm finding them everyday. The box says to treat once a week & only leave the shampoo on for no more than 10 minutes. I'm following it exactly but no luck. Any suggestions, or anything you might have heard from a pediatrician? I don't really want to try "home remedies" unless I can find info on the internet that they really do work. Thank you for your help!

Hello there. Yeah rid doesnt work. It even says on the internet that the lice are ammune to it now. Growing up i and my sisters kids got it from school. And believe it or not mineral oil works the best. At night put a full bottle of mineral on there hair... Let them sleep in it. It takes a long time to wash out but it works. Do that every other night for a week then look throughly through there hair to see if it is done with. :) good luck
-C.
p.s. The mineral oil sufficates the bugs

Whatever you do, PLEASE stop using the chemicals, including bleach, RID, dog shampoo. Those chemicals are extremely toxic and can cause serious long term effects. Please take a look at this website. http://www.headlice.org/

I have heard that lice don't like heat. So, even if it makes poofy hair, dry everyone's hair with the hair dryer. Also, use the curling iron, hair straightener as well. Use a leave in conditioner, they can't get a grip on slippery hair. It might make everyon's hair look gross, but so does lice.

Take all stuffed animals and extra pillows and blankets out of every room, bag them in a large trash bag and they need to sit outside, or in storage/the garage for two weeks or more. They can't eat if they don't have a host and will die. Every night before bed and every morning after getting out, put all bedding in the dryer on high for a half of an hour.

If all else fails, die your hair, and your daughters. It can be the same color you have now. But don't get a henna or wash out die. Get a regular, full chemical die.

I hope this is stuff you haven't tried. Don't get discouraged! Good luck...~D.

-C.

Actually, home remedies work. You can check with your local health department, but part of the issue with Lice products is that they no longer are as effective - due to overuse, the lice have become resistant. Also, to continually use the chemicals in products like rid is hard on your daughters hair and scalp - they are a pesticide product. Home remedies that may help - and which have worked for me or people I know personally at one time or another:

saturate the hair with tea tree oil, wrap in saran wrap and a towel and leave on hair for a while - I always went for at least a couple of hours, but that is because I had extremely long hair. Some people find that tea tree oil burns and do not like this remedy. You can also add a couple of drops of tea tree oil to your regular shampoo and conditioner to use as a preventative measure, or buy tea tree oil infused shampoo and conditioner at your local health food store.

Alternatively, a friend of mine has used olive oil. It smothers the nits and she swears it softened her hair as well. Another friend treated her teenager with mayonnaise - it supposedly works well to break down the glue that the nits are attached with.

The combing is critical. You have to do it every day. Safeway sells a special metal comb - much sturdier and more effective than the comb that comes in the Rid box. It was $14.95 several years ago, and I had to ask the pharmacist for it - she kept them behind the counter.

Dye your hair and theirs. That's what the last 2 gals that have done my hair say. Lice can't attached to colored hair because it becomes slick to them. Choose a color really close to their natural one. Easy cheap and apparently it works well.
Lucky me, I have 2 boys and their hair shaves off easily.

Check out this website and download their home remedy program. I used it and so did some other moms at my daughter's school. Even if you do it a bit less strictly than they suggest, it works! http://www.headliceinfo.com/treat.htm. It's worth downloading just for all the sensible advice and information.

Also excellent is the Cetaphil treatment you can find by Googling "head lice home remedy, cetaphil". I alternated that with the above website's olive oil regime and it worked. I was pregnant and got the lice too, and it worked on me with no chemicals.

good luck!

K. ~

I have had this same problem. My daughter has long hair and I have long, very thick hair. She brought lice home and since I used my brush to do her hair, I got it as well. We tried Rid and Nix. Neither of them worked. I was pregnant at the time, so the thought of using pesticides over and over again was very disturbing to me. I researched online and found a few things to do. The hardest part is just doing it consistently.

~ Get a big bottle of rubbing alcohol to soak your brushes and combs in. I kept mine in a glass full of this at all times until ready for use. Then I returned the brush to the alcohol after use. It kills the lice within seconds. I even tested that (morbid, I know) by finding a bug and putting it in the alcohol to time it.

~ I soaked my hair in alcohol by starting with dry hair, and a bowl of alcohol. I saturated my hair with the alcohol and then wrapped it in a towel overnight. This killed both the bugs and nits. I did not have to repeat this at all.

~ Tea Tree Oil. I used this on my daughter. Dilute it with a little water and rinse the hair with it. Then wrap it in a towel. Also, add a few drops to your shampoo. It helps to keep them from coming back once you have gotten rid of them. You can find it at Walmart, Wild Oats, Etc.

~ Blow dry the hair daily. The heat dries up the bugs and nits and kills them.

~ Use a lice/nit comb morning and night to remove everything from the hair.

~ Vacuum the floor and furniture daily and either throw out or freeze the bag immediately. I have a canister vacuum, so it was easy to empty everything each time.

~ There are sprays for your furniture and house, but once again, it is pesticide that you are spraying in your house. I spoke with my pediatrician about these and was told that they really don't work very well at all and the risks out-weigh the benefits received.

Good luck with this. It is time consuming, but very effective.

I didn't find that rid worked either. My oldest daughter has incredibly thick hair. I worked for two hours every morning and every evening -- picking out nits and bugs. Each night I soaked her hair with a mixture of tea tree oil and olive oil, and every morning washed it well with a mixture of shampoo and malathion (1 tsp to an 8 oz bottle). It does take a week. You have to wash all the bedding, pillow, toys and clothes they wear. Spray down your house every morning and evening with Lysol (where they go) -- anything with FABRIC that their heads might touch. It should take a week to get rid of all of them. Yes -- this is an expensive and time eating solution -- but it works.

Fast -- buzz their heads, wash everything, dry everything in a HOT dryer, spray everything down with Lysol about four times for the next three days.

1 / 3