What to Do W/daughters Straight, Fine, Thin Hair?

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for any ideas that you Mom's out there might have as I'm at a loss right now and have run out of ideas. My 4 yr old daughter has blonde, straight, fine, thin hair. My husband takes her to daycare in the morning and he has no idea how to curl her hair let alone put it in a pony tail or otherwise. He's tried, but he fails miserably. So basically he combs through and they leave the house. She looks like a mess to say the very least! It's so upsetting b/c I always work hard on putting bows, barretts in her hair to make her look pretty. She knows the difference and she's not happy about going to school looking sloppy either. She told me the other day "my hair is not pretty Mommy." I felt so bad for her. So....I'm desperate for ideas on what to do with her hair. Her hair grows very slowly just like mine. She's four years old and it's not even to her shoulders yet. Do I cut it in a wedge, do I perm it, what do I do? Help, please...............

Thanks so much in advance!!!

I took her to get her hair cut and we had it cut into a short bob. She looks fantastic. Doing this cut off most of the baby fine hair that she still had left. That baby fine hair was only tangling into knots and splitting at the ends so it had to go.

I truly appreciate everyone's positive and helpful suggestions. And just to clear the air, I wasn't going to perm her hair, in my original request I was simply adding that as a styling option to further my explanation and request for help so that I could be easily understood as how at a loss I was for options.

So once again, I really appreciate that time that all you Mom's gave me to give positive and creative options. You've helped emmensely.

DONT PERM IT!itll get worse...just keep triming it itll get thicker as she gets older.my oldest daughter was bald untill 2.buy some pretty clips to put in it...:)A.

D.,
I read all of the responses to this because my 4 year old daughter has beautiful blonde hair that is fine and straight and it is down to her shoulder blades. This has been a problem that I struggled with too because I am not too handy with hairstyles. I can do barretts and pony tails but other than that I have not mastered anything else. I have found that stretchy cloth headbands work great. She can do it herself or even Dad could help with those and it keeps things out of her eyes and away from her face but still looks nice. I have not had much luck with the hard plastic kind, but you could maybe give those a shot too. I just hate to cut her hair short so we manage this way. There are also those cute little clips that you can buy now that have the little teeth on them. Scrunchi (I believe that is the brand name) that you can find at retail stores like Shopko, Walmart, and Target have a line made especially for fine hair...look for those barretts and things they are a life saver!! Good luck.

My daughter also has very fine hair, which had been such a struggle, but I decided to have it cut into a very cute short bob and and so happy that I did. Once in a while it still gets a little tangled in the back from sleeping on it, but I spray in a detangler and brush it out and it looks great. We get compliments on it all of the time.

Sounds to me like you are giving your daughter a complex about looks already at 4 years old! Cut her hair to something managable and that has less maintenance. Give your husband a break, at least he tries, which is wonderful! I think having to curl your daughters hair at 4 years old is a bit extreme! You DON'T perm a 4 year olds hair!!- I'm sorry I realize this is a "help" site BUT this has been the only request for "help" that I've seen and thought WOW - to even consider perming a 4 year olds hair strikes me as a bit much. I hope that this is considered as constructive criticism. I would bet that your daughter is a beautiful little girl exactly how she is.

Is your husband willing to be taught how to put her hair in pony tails and bows?

A cute, short cut is good. Then combing it and sticking a bow in would satisfy her cuteness issue and his need for ease. I wouldn't perm it, though. Those are pretty harsh chemicals for such a young child.

Hi D.:

Keep your daughter's hair shoulder length with a blunt back cut.....(when it gets to shoulder length)....she should also have bangs. Gives the appearance of thicker hair. Try some thickening sprays after shampooing her hair. Cost cutters has a really nice texture boost spray....that will work beautifully on her hair. Dad's do not have the finger dexterity us mothers have or the patience involved to do her hair. So, help him practice a really easy ponytail....or a french roll. Which is a ponytail and then make a seem with your fingers in her hair just above the ponytail holder and take the ponytail and weave it through the seem and pull the tail out gently and you'll have a beautiful roll at the top of the ponytail....it will give the appearance of thicker hair.

Practice different hair products and ask a beautician what would work best with her hair.

~K.

My daughter and I have the same problem as well. Half the time hair things don't even stay in our hair because it is just too silky. My daughter decided to get a really cute hair style that is a little below her chin with longer layers. If her hair gets messy, it looks like it is supposed to look messy. I can still pull it back into pig tails or with clips if needed. And make sure you get it cut every 6 weeks. That will help her hair grow.

I also have found that you should not wash it every day. It will do more if it's dirty.

Two pig tails tied with these tiny "ouchless" rubber bands seemed to be the only thing that worked for my daughter for a long time, so that she doesn't get her hair into her eyes. They hold through the whole day. Initially, when her hair was really short, I couldn't even make the full pig tails, I was only making them with the hair from the front and the sides, leaving out the hair on the back. Looks very cute. Another thing that I also did was one "pony tail", except not on the back, but right on top and again, only with the hair from the front and the sides. That looked a little palm-tree on top, cascading in every direction. Again, looked very cute on her.
To make them look perfect, it took me a little practice, though.
There is another thing that I do on occasion - a "crown", or a circle of tails folding into each other. That takes me about 30 minutes to get it done, but holds very well and looks very nice. Actually, I have a picture of that one - let me know if you are interested in seeing how it looks like.

I had to giggle about this because it happens at our house all the time! My 4 year old daughter is blonde and has very fine hair. I am the only one "able" to do her hair at our house and at times it drives me up the wall. Nothing like going away for a weekend and coming back to a kid who looks homeless! What I did that seems to work well is.... I had her hair cut at great clips or something like that and had it cut so its a bit below her chin/cheek line. They under cut it a bit so that it naturally curled under a bit. The hair dresser told me that if I put a wee bit of gel in her hair and blow dried it using the big round brush it would keep for a few days. So she could sleep on it, and with a little combing it went back to the nifty looking bob.

I have fine hair too... and I perm mine but I am going to hold off on even suggesting a perm for my daughter until she can take care of her hair herself.

1 / 3