What to Do for Migraine When the Medicine Didn't Work?

I am having a bad migraine, it stared last night but didn't want to take my medicine because it has caffeine and I can't sleep, finally I just went to sleep late but when I wake up my migraine stared again.
I took Excedrin Migraine which always have work, I took it around 9am, the pain was less (a 6 from 1-10) but is slowly coming back up and now started to really bother me, is now 7pm
I can't take another one because it is already a high doses and I can't take anything until 24 hours (that what the package said) I tried to sleep but I couldn't
I am wonder if there is anything I can take/do, no medicine but something natural, or maybe medicine but that doesn't affect with the mix of Excedrin.
If nothing works I am thinking taking an sleep pill and go to sleep early, at this point I just want to make it to after 8pm so I can put the little one to sleep but my head is now hurting so much I even have pain on my stomach and my neck, and part of my shoulder =0(

Actually, I am thinking I should have gotten my period already but didn't, I really doubt I am pregnant but maybe is a connection of my miss period and this? I get migraine often but Excedrin has always work besides this time.
I took one Excedrin at 9am hoping it would be enough, but didn't so I took other one around 11 and it did kind of work (instead of lost of pain was a 6) and I went on my day. Around 4 stared to hurt more and more.
I think I am just going to have to trust my older daughter to put the baby to sleep tonight and take my pill.

***Thank you all, last nigh I just took a sleep pill and fall sleep and didn't saw all of your advice. Today I am feel fine again, but I will keep your advice for the next time, I like the sex one too, if I only could make my husband believe that when we travels for work LOL, just kidding. Thank you all***

I had a migraine this morning and saw a massage therapist who worked on my upper back, neck and head. First time I tried this and my migraine is gone!

really dark room and an ice pack on the nape of your neck at the bottom of your head. Ice for about 10 minutes off and on. It should at least make the pain bearable

Oh honey, I feel for you. Migraines are the worst. You can usually safely take ibuprofen even if you have taken Excedrin because they have different active ingredients. That might help and also rubbings your ears. (Sounds weird, but rubbing and pulling your ears hits some pressure points that can ease pain.Don't just do the lobes, but even the upped parts for several minutes.)
I have to do shots and take prescription meds for migraines, but am really trying to avoid that as much as possible. I hope you feel better very soon and can get some rest.
Hang in there.
Christi

My doctor says you can take double what the package says with Excedrin and you will be fine. (Unless you have liver problems - if so, maybe check with your doctor first.)

If that doesn't help, go to urgent care and have them write you a prescription for Zomig. That is what I take for my migraines. It will start to work in 15-20 minutes, and will provide complete relief.

I'm sorry you are having a migraine! I hope you feel better soon!

First of all I once had a migraine so bad, I wanted my husband to place a pillow over my face. It actually turned out to be Spinal Meningitis. So if it lasts more that 24 hours, you need to see a docctor ASAP.

You do realize migraines can lead to all sorts of serious physical problems? You can have stroke, you can have memory loss.

Have you actually been diagnosed? Is it documented? If so you need to see a neurologist so they can have a record of where you stand with your migraine. They will give you all of the information about life choices, diet and medications proven to help you not have migraines and the pain. Yes, many times, They will also suggest acupuncture, but it ill be under their care.

Migraines can become more intense as we mature. And more meds is not always the answer.

This is your health, your life.
If you are a mom you have responsibility to your children to be healthy.
Go and get medical care.

I get chronic migraines from stress, the wrong foods, and barometric pressure. When we had all of those snow storms my migraines were out of control. We've had rain off and on the past couple of days/nights and today it's raining pretty heavily and I've had a migraine since last night due to the barometric pressure associated with it.

I do take a daily prophylactic for the migraines. For me, it's Topamax, and it's helped minimize the frequency and intensity of them. I did have to take an Imitrex last night and another this morning in order to control this migraine, but that's much more rare than before I started a daily prophylactic. Before that I had to take Imitrex weekly and Advil twice a week or more.

For now, get in a hot shower and just sit in there for a while with the shower aiming at the back of your head. Keep it dark in there. Then dry off when you feel better and nap if you can in the dark. I don't take the Excedrin, but I do sometimes drink half a can of Coke or have some coffee with Advil. But I think if you have migraines frequently you should ask your neurologist about something you can take daily to reduce the frequency and intensity, like Topamax, and something you can take when the migraines get bad like Imitrex or Maxalt (which I didn't like personally but my mom loves).

Acupuncture is great for migraines as well as massage. Vitamin B is also suppose to help with migraines. As a last resort, I know some people who get botox injections in their neck to help with migraines.

My mother in law has migraines and she has tried all kinds of medicines, some work , some don't. I would call your doctor and see what they can prescribe. There was one that was a blood pressure reducer that worked really well (taken every day) but she already has low blood pressure so it would make her a bit dizzy, and she stopped it. There is also some kind of suppository since she vomits for a full day when she gets her migraines. Acupuncture may help, as may massages. Avoid your triggers, but you need to find out what they are. For a lot of people it is caffeine, chocolate, lack of sleep, alcohol, etc.
I have long headaches every spring tied to seasonal allergies. I find that allergy meds do not work, but if I take ibuprofen around the clock (every 6 hours) for about 2 weeks I get through the allergy season. Maybe allergies are playing into you migraines too.
Talk to a doctor about what you can do. Good luck.

1 / 3