What to Do for a Friend Having Surgery?

I teach Pre-K at an elementary school, and the Pre-K & Kindergarten teachers are all really close. One of our Kindergarten teachers has been struggling with horrible, debilitating headaches for a very long time, and in March is going to have surgery to remove a cluster of blood vessels in her brain. It is a very scary surgery, and she's so young... only 25 and only been married since September. We wanted to do something really nice for her before she leaves town to have her surgery. Her last day at school is March 2nd and she'll be out for at least 6 weeks. Do you have any suggestions on what we could do to show her how much we love and support her, and just send her off with our encouragement and good thoughts? We want it to be special, but not overwhelming. Thanks!

Put together a meal group for when she returns home. Have everyone sign up and give her the schedule. She will love not cooking when she is home for several weeks.

My friends and I have done something we call a 'Sunshine Basket' for others before, and it's always a big hit. We fill it with wrapped items (candles, candy, gift cards, crossword puzzles, books, magazines, whatever), and then we leave a note in it saying how this is a Sunshine Basket and we wanted to add a little sunshine to your days and telling the person to open one gift per day. That way, she has something to look forward to for a couple weeks.

S.,
So sweet of you to think ahead on how to help. I would suggest you and your co-workers cook meals that can be frozen and popped in the oven. If some of her hair will be shaved for the surgery, get her a wig, funky hat or scarves. Also make sure her family or husband has your home or cell numbers so they can call for assistance with anything, especailly if a family memeber from out of town will be taking care of her.

Lots of prayers for her...D.

I just had surgery- some of the great things I recieved were handmade get well cards from my daughter's kindergarten class, little notes as I recovered, and meals! Since it sounds like she is going out of town for the surgery you may want t6o consider gift cards for places near her where her family can just buy dinner. My mom sent me a "comfy" package w/ fuzzy socks, a sleeping t-shirt, and some bath stuff.

The best to your friend!

Hi S.!

Sorry to hear someone close to you is having to go through this, especially at a young age!!!

Put together a care basket for her - books, crossword puzzles, get a blank book and have all the teachers write their sentiments and well wishes for her so that she can read the book over and over again, snacks, candies, chocolates, soups...basically a bunch of things she'll need and appreciate while she is recovering. I am sure that anything, no matter how big or small, will show her how much yall love and care for her.

1 / 3