What to Do for a December Birthday?

My 21-month old will be turning 2 in December - December 20th to be exact. Now, because it's so close to Christmas, I don't want her birthday to begin being overlooked or combined with Christmas every year. I was thinking of maybe having her birthday party every year during the beginning of December instead of her actual birthday. I know it's not as big of a deal this year because she is still really young, however, for future years as she gets older, I want to be sure her birthday is separated from Christmas as much as possible. Any ideas? Thanks.

Some people have what is called a half birthday. Instead of having a birthday party in December have it in June. It will not diminish her birthday in anyway.
Just an idea.

Hi! I am a December baby too, the 24th of December, and I have to tell you that now being 35 (36 this year) I am sooo happy to look back at my childhood and be able to say that my mom and dad never shared by birthday with the Christmas Holiday!

That being said, I think that the beginning of December works out great, or even into January, since the rush of the holiday season is done at that point and you can look forward to something fun.

My own son's birthday is the 18th of December (he'll be six this year) and like you I want to keep it separate from the holiday, make him feel special and have a day to himself. Again, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the feeling that I never got lumped together with the holiday!

I was a Dec. 22nd baby and my best parties were June 22nd!! all my friends were there and no one was overbooked with holiday parties!

A.

My twin brother and I share a birthday on December 23rd. Because the weather can be so bad and it is so close to Christmas, my parents always had a birthday party for us in the S. with all of our friends. I never felt like I missed out because I was able to have a great bday party with my friends during the S. months and celebrated the acutal date with my parents. It was great, I had 2 birthdays every year.

Just an idea.

Hi S., We have been celebrating my Grandson's Birthday in the S.. His parent are divorced & Hid Dad lives with us. So in August we have what we call, Mikey's S. Birthday party. His Birthday is in January & our home isn't big enough to hold everyone, we have lots of rooms, but none big enough to get everyone in there to even sing Happy Birthday. So we gave Mikey the option of having a pool/Birthday party. We've been doing it now for three years & it turns out great! We always have a "rain date" just incase. Even though our having the S. party is a different reason for yours, I thought this might help.

I will tell you how much I hated having a Christmas Birthday December 20 as well. When I got older my mom would let me celebrate it in June. We would rent out a local pool and some of my friends would bring me funny gifts like balloons with winter images on them or other Christmas related gifts. But I do encourage you to really keep the Birthday separate from Christmas. I would even get combined gifts from family, which when you are a kid you know when you are cheated out of a gift. So for now early December is a great idea until she is old enough to give her own input.

My birthday is December 28th and I never once felt slighted - my Mom & Dad did a FANTASTIC job at that! I think if you have a party for her early in December now it would be fine, but when she is a bit older, try to have one on or close to her birthday so she doesn't feel like her birthday has to be moved because of Christmas. If you do a big party early and then a small family party on her birthday, that would work good too. Also please make a point of asking people to wrap her birthday present in birthday paper - not Christmas wrapping paper. This was a small act, but meant a lot to me and really made me feel my birthday was truly separate from Christmas. Also, see if people can make sure not to give Christmas-type presents for her birthday such as ornaments, stuffed animals with santa costumes, candy canes on the outside of her presents, etc. I did receive a few of these type of items from family and it made me feel like they didn't even try to find a birthday present - they just grabbed whatever Christmas stuff was on sale and wrapped it. I know that was not their intention, but that was how it made me feel. Hope this info helps!

My younger son was born on December 17. We have always just put our efforts into focusing on his birthday as a separate event. We have always given him the opportunity to make a birthday wish list separate from his Christmas wish list, and as far as I can remember we have always celebrated his birthday on his birth-day as if it was in any other season of the year. We give him his gifts and sing to him first thing in the morning, and he gets to choose the menu for his birthday dinner.
Best wishes,

My kids were born on 12/28 and 12/29. We never do their B-Day parties close to their actual party. It is to close to the holidays and many of their friends are out of town. We have done the beginning of December, and we have also waited until mid/end of January. It is better to wait or do it early. There is so much going on with the holidays around that time of year. Many people are busy with holiday stuff. Better seperate the parties at least three weeks from X-Mas and New Years.

I used to have a neighbor whose daughter had a mid-December birthday and she would always have the "kid" party in the middle of January instead. She always got a great turnout. My daughter was born near Christmas as well. She's still too young for a "kid" party but once she's old enough, I'll probably do the same thing my neighbor did.

1 / 3