What to Do for a 50Th Birthday Party?

Yes, 50 not 5! A little odd for this site, but I thought I would pick your brains. So my mother-in-law is turning 50 and we wanted to throw her a little party. If you know of any fun little activity we could have at the party let me know. Maybe a comedian or a caricturist (sp?), etc...something really fun (clean fun). Party's in 5 weeks. Yikes!
Thanks

I rescently attended a 60th birthday party and they had it set up very nice. they had printed "over the hill jokes" and wrapped them around hershey bars. Had a dj for dancing, played some off the wall games and gave out prizes like geritol, ben gay, depends, and support panty hose. some games were twist on kids games, pin the cane on the old lady, a wet depends toss, passing ballon with their knees. It was a total blast and I am 39.

I just joined mamasource today and if 50 is a little odd, I probably won't be around long, because I turn 50 this Fall. For you though, please ASK her what she wants, unless you're hell bent on a suprise, which personally I feel isn't necessary. Fifty is such a sensitive time. You go from being called momma to mother in law, and you aren't really sure how it happened. Make sure that everything you do for her reminds her of how cherished she is in your family and what an impact she has made on you. There is no going overboard with the sentimentalities here because at 50 you really need to know that you are still vital in your family even though you aren't running to soccer games and swim meets anymore. I always tell my husband that any gift he gives me must pass this test, Does it make me feel beautiful? Does it make me feel loved? If so, the gift is a winner.

Be sensitive about red hats. Not everyone wants to join a bunch of gaudy women who parade around town wearing a hat that tells everyone of their age. ASK! I for one, if given a red hat on my 50th birthday will probably sit down and cry.

Good luck to you, I know you will show your love for your mother-in-law in appropriate ways that will make her feel loved and cherished.

Ps. After reading the responses here I found it odd to think of a 50's theme for the party. Then I realized I was born in 1958! (Duh) Most of us born in '58 really don't identify with the 50's because we don't REMEMBER them at all! On the other hand, 60's would be an era I would identify with more.

Well I would have to assume this is going to be a "couples" party?? If not how about making a project like some type of beading. My girlfriend and I have been buying cake servers at bed bath and beyond and we have bought jewlery wire and beads and decorate the handle of the server. These are amazing and make great gifts and an activity for under 10$. Especially if you use the bb&b coupons. Another fun thing to do is a hay ride. I've hired a magician before for my husbands 40th and that was a success. For his 50th we went to see a comedian. That worked well and there were a group of comedians and then all of us came back to the house for cake and conversation.If I think of anything else I'll keep YOU in mind!! Mary Kay makeovers are fun and so are games you can incorporate throughout the evening!!

You could do a "Red Hat" theme. Another fun theme might be to decorate with different sayings by Maxine. If you haven't heard of her, she is a cartoon that makes clean fun of different ages, political issues, embarrising moments, that kind of thing.
Those are the two that popped into my head.
Hope that helps you out alittle.
Good Luck.

Hello S.

I hope this is not to late but I just posted my Party Theme consulting business on this website. 50 is just as much fun to plan is 5. Check out my blog listing...Theme's By D. if you're still interested.

Hello S., I went to one that did something unique. They had everyone write just a short note of what the person meant to them or how had touched their life. But all the encouragement/notes in a nice little decorative chest and gave it to her as a gift. She was so touched and stunned. Even contacted childhood friends (through the mother of the 50 year old). That takes a bit of work, but it was really different and fun. She told me whenever she has a rough day, she gets them out and reads them again. :)

Hello if it's not to late for your mother - in - law 50th birthday party I would love to help you out pro-bono since it is so late, I am an event planner in the Lansing area Precious Planning, www.preciousplanning.org if you are interested in some ideas I may have please call to see where I can assist you. ###-###-####

Hello S.,

Here are a couple of ideas.

Candid Camera Party

Remember the old television show, with its classic punch line: "Smile! You're on Candid Camera"? Collect pictures of the birthday person with various expressions on his or her face, and have a contest to see who can come up with the best caption for each one. Decorate with photography-related paraphernalia, and have a camera-shaped or camera-decorated cake to top off this 50th birthday party idea.

or

a 50's themed party. Have guests dress up like the year she was born. Cheap red lipstick, funky shades and cheap white canvas shoes. The fun dresses, jeans and hairdo's. A 50's Trivia Quiz with Howdy Doody, Davy Crockett, Roy Rogers, Mouseketeers...etc Make sure you purchase things for her to wear as a costume..since she is the guest of honor.

I hope this helps you out. Have fun!!

H.

1 / 3