What to Do Before You Get Pregnat

My husband and I were going to try to get pregnant a year ago but I found out I had a thyroid problem and needed to start taking meds. But just found out yesterday that my thyroid is good and I have been off the meds for 3 months. Just wondering what all I need to do before we start trying to get pregnant this time. I just want to make sure I’m healthy before getting pregnant so that our baby will be. I worry too much I know but I get it from my MOM. :)

Well, to start off, good luck with trying. Enjoy it! LOL. When my husband and I started trying, I first visited a OB/GYN as a consult just to see what I needed to do. VITAMINS! VITAMINS! VITAMINS! VITAMINS! VITAMINS! and eat healthy. Even now, I have been breastfeeding for almost 8 months and still take a daily prenatal vitamins, in fact, the same ones from my pregnancy. I just continued my prescription. I would ask my doctor to give me a script. There is nothing wrong with the over-the-counter ones, but I was told by the MD that the prescription ones are better. Mine didn't cost a whole lot more than the OTC ones.

Hi, not much help from me, i have thyroid since i was 9 years old, i was told that i couldn't have kids, i'm now 46 have to wonderful kids and they are very healthy, good luck

I treated my body like it was already pregnant before starting to try. I started taking prenatal vitamins, watched what i ate (no sushi, etc.) and I have 3 prefectly healthy kiddos.

FOLIC ACID, FOLIC ACID, FOLIC ACID!!!! If you smoke---stop! If you drink----stop! Get a pre-pregnancy dental check up. Just general good care for your body. Good luck!!!!

Eat healthy, exercise, take a prenatal vitamin, and a folic acid supplement.

Definetly start on your prenatal vitamins-YESTERDAY!!!!-and start exercising and eating healthier foods. Go to an ob/gyn, midwife, or whoever and get everything checked out. If you drink or smoke, you should start stopping IMMEDIATELY!!! Be sure when you got to your dr. that you get checked for anemia, and take supplements accordingly. Eat lots of leafy greens, and fresh fruits, and start staying away from lots of sugar---it will pack on, and they are empty calories for you and your fetus. Also, when a woman is pregnant, the fetus gets a lot of calcium from your supply, and will take out of your bones if you are already low. so start drinking milk, eating yogurt and cheese, etc. but mostly remember---FOLIC ACID!!! Another key helper: make sure your dude wears looser undies, such as boxers. When they wear tighties, the underwear will hold his testicles right up against his body, and the excess body heat can damage the sperm that are there. When in looser undies, they are not held up so close, and therefore have a higher reproduction rate. GOOD LUCK, AND MOST OF ALL:::: HAVE FUN!!!!

Folic Acid, Folic Acid, Folic Acid!!! I can't stress how important it is to take folic acid prior to getting pregnant. If you have any trouble getting pregnant, check out mymonthlycycles.com My husband and I tried for a very long time and this site really helped me. They track your fertile days. it is really neat because it will send you reminder emails as well as a calander of you most fertile days.

Hi C., you aren't being a worrier, you are being responsible. It is wise to make your body the best vessle it can be for your baby. I started about 8 months before trying, I was a smoker, so my hubby and I quit, adopted a healthier lifestyle with food and excercise, get the crankiness out of the way early;). Then at 6 months pre-trying, I went off the pill and started prenatal vitamins (Wal Mart's were good) and taking a folic acid supliment too. We also considered the financial impact and started planning accordingly. I'm not sure if it helped, but it made us feel better, and really, that counts for a lot. Good Luck!

Start taking prenatal vitamins now and make sure to eat lots of leafy greens.

Call your OB/GYN or family doc and schedule a visit. Let your doc know you want to try and get pregnant. The doc can give you a physical and make sure you are healthy overall, can probably re-check your thyroid levels if necessary, make sure you're not too over-or under-weight, and prescribe or recommend a prenatal vitamin to start taking now. If you or your hubby smoke, use alcohol regularly, or use any type of recreational drugs, seriously consider quitting. Also take a list of all prescriptions and otc medications, herbals, etc you are currenlty taking to make sure they are safe to keep using while you try to get pregnant and go through those all important first few weeks - before the line turns blue!

Good luck and God Bless!

Keep taking your thyroid medicine! Its very important you keep your levels good for you and the baby. I too have thyroid problems and have one child and another on the way and I get my levels checked all the time.

1 / 3