What to Do About Painful, Cracked Heels

In the past couple months I have developed craked heels. They heel and then crack again. It's painful to walk. I don't know what the cause is or how to prevent it. Nothing has changed to cause them. I'm not overweight. I'm at a total loss and my insurance does not cover podiatry. Help.

Thanks Mamas, and 1 Papa. I think i got this cracked heel thing under control. I took the advice that was repeated the most times and my heels are soft and not cracking. I'm using the Ped Egg (amazing) and Bag Balm and socks. So far so good. All the advice was great, although I didn't appreciate the suggestion that it was menopause. Thanks again.

Hi Kristene,
I'm a little late and I haven't read all the responses so I'm sorry if someone suggested this already.

Avon carries a whole line of "foot works" products. One of which is called Therapeutic Cracked Heel Relief Cream. It works wonders! I used it recently. I've been trying many of their products since I recently began selling Avon.

~W.

I use A and D ointment on mine, my podiatrist recommended it.
It is sold over the counter and the price is very reasonable.
Keeps the tips of my fingers from cracking as well.
I use it in the AM before I put my shoes on and at night watching some tv. Use white cotton socks while they are healing up that will help also.

Sorry to hear it K.. Is it dry skin? If so, have you tried plenty of cream or oil?

I have not had this problem, but have heard from others that sometimes heels crack due to wearing rubber flip flops. The rubber seems to draw moisture from the heels...

good luck.

HI,

This is my wonderful for cracked heels among many other things.

I keep the Shaklee Herbal Blend Multi-Purpose Cream on hand at all times. I was glad I had it close by last week.

For some obscure reason I took a hot pan out of the oven, put down the oven mitt & proceded to move the pan with my bare hands!! OUCH! Immediately I felt the skin on my thumb and fingers start to blister. I grabbed the "green cream" and put it on my fingers. I reapplied it a little later. It worked great on preventing the blisters and treating the burn.

I thought I'd pass on this article so you could see what else it can do!

Shaklee Herbal Blend Skin Cream

http://www.shaklee.net/healthmatters4u/product/31751

Shaklee Herbal Blend Cream is made from pure extracts of seventeen natural soothing herbs, including matricaris, sage, coltsfoot, restharrow, horse chestnut, horsetail, yarrow, rosemary, dandelion, and althea, along with menthol and witch hazel.

Its skin-softening and healing ingredients penetrate the skin’s surface, moisturizing and soothing several layers deep.

Shaklee Herbal Blend Cream is a NON-GREASY multi-purpose skin cream with a deep-penetrating emollient-rich formula with cooling oil of wintergreen and menthol – what a delightfully fresh scent!

It is often referred to as the “FACE TO FANNY CREAM” because it can be used effectively in a variety of ways.

soothes, softens and promotes healing of dry, cracked foot or skin anywhere on the body …. what relief for hot, tired feet. It penetrates into the skin, softening dry, rough areas. Clinical tests have proven that with two daily applications – morning & night – feet are less prone to dryness, roughness, redness, or scaling
helps soothe sore muscles and stiff joints…. seems to take the ache right out
soothes the itch of insect bites – takes the heat and redness out of bad spider bites overnight
heals burns faster than any product on the market – great on sunburn
great for chapped hands, blisters, etc.
softens rough skin on the heels which often causes runs in female panty-hose
soothing to skin irritations (some have reported that if you get chicken pox, apply on onset – pox marks heal quickly and disappear quicker)
relieves redness, itching and inflammation of psoriasis
wonderful foot deodorizer
soothes and relieves hemorrhoids internally & externally (Preparation H does not hold a candle to Mentholated Skin Cream)
keeps hands from chapping in the winter (put Mentholated Skin Cream on your hands and then add use Enfuselle Hand & Body Lotion to seal in the moisture)
very soothing on vaginal yeast infection
a wonderful diaper rash cream
a wonderful shaving cream – add some water to cream (gives a clean, cool, smooth shave
very healing on athlete’s foot

To Summarize, below are more multi-purpose uses people have shared

FACE skin rashes, pimples, blackheads, sunburn (ACNE – wash with Basic-H

and apply cream … some people have experienced amazing results)

LIPS for chapped, dry lips, canker sores, cracks at the corner of the mouth,

cold sores

HAIR for dandruff, head sores, scaly spots on scalp, perm burns

BACK for backaches and tightness in neck

HANDS for chapped, dry hands, warts, rashes, detergent burns, cuticles, hangnails,

paper cuts, calluses

FEET for athlete’s foot, planter’s warts, corns, calluses, rashes, foot cramps,

tired aching feet, bruises, blisters

BOTTOMS for diaper rash, hemorrhoids, vaginal itch

LEGS for aching muscles, dry skin, rashes, cuts, bruise

Shaklee has offered this product for over 30 years. It was once called Foot Cream and came in a jar. The Shaklee people in the field found SO MANY USES for this amazing product that had nothing to do with their feet, that they complained to Shaklee about the difficulty in talking to customers about using a foot cream on their face or other areas of the body. Shaklee than changed the name.

Below are some testimonies:

“I cured seeping psoriasis on our son’s scalp when he was about 20 years old by having him wash his head each night with Basic-H, and every morning I rubbed Mentholated Skin Cream on his scalp … it worked!”
“My husband uses it on his hands to keep them from cracking. He has an allergy to motor oil and applies Mentholated Skin Cream after working on machinery. He is also applying it to his sunspots on his bald head.”
“I removed a wart by applying the cream and covering with a band-aid. The wart went away in about a week.”
“I had a ganglion cyst on my wrist about the size of a medium-sized pea for 35 years. Doctors drained it but it came back. I put the cream on it once a day, and in two weeks it was gone and there was not tract of it. That was two months ago.

The above are not product claims …
rather results that some people have experienced!

Have you been drinking enough water? When you start to hit menopause or in your case, probably perimenopause, some parts start to dry out and the heels are one of the first! Drinking water helps, plus a really good moisturizer. Also, I get a pedicure 2x a month to help to keep up with the problem. Good luck!

K.,
Try going to a dermatologist. I had a similar problem a few years back and was told to first try prescription lotion by my internist. When that didn't work I went to a dermatologist, Dr. John Edelglass in Woodbridge, who has me using only Aveeno Body Wash and lotion. When winter hits I take oatmeal baths 2 or 3 times a week. All I do is grind up oatmeal in the blender until it is really fine and add about 2/3 cup to a warm bath. It is much cheaper than buying Aveeno Bath and is the same thing. Another thing I do for my chapped hands is carry a tube of Aveeno lotion with me at all times and use it whenever I wash my hands or if I have gone more than an hour without using it. I not only get cracked feet, but my hands as well and in the winter my hands used to get so bad they would bleed. Knock on wood it has worked well. Let me know how you make out.
Hugs,

One of the things that you can do is put vaseline on your feet at night and wear socks...so it will all be absorbed into your feet. Try to exfoliate your heels with a pumus stone. Hope this has been helpful!
If you need anything else....let me know!

Sometimes this is caused by a fungus, even though it does not itch like athlete's foot. You should try buying some Lotrimin AF cream (available over the counter) and use it for a few weeks. Make sure if you were using any kind of foot lotion you should throw it away because it could be contaminated from exposure. You could also try using some tea tree oil mixed in with your favorite lotion. Also be sure to thoroughly clean any callous removers that you used (or throw them out if they can't be cleaned). The Ped Egg (that thing they advertise on TV) works, but you have to moisturize too or it comes back).

Are you eating enough probiotics? Yogurt, kefir, cultured butter (I buy Organic Valley in the yellow box) even sprouted grain breads can all be really helpful with skin issues. Also, limit your sugar intake and eat plenty of good fats - avocados, coconut & coconut oil, walnuts, flax seeds, raw olive oil, and stay away from unhealthy fats like soybean oil and those new "no trans fats" frankenstein oils. Having a healthy balance of omega 3s to omega 6s is important for skin health, too. Finally, don't use petroleum-based lotions on your heels - you could use an expensive health-food store alternative, or a honey-based Burt's Bees product, but I just use coconut oil on my skin - moisturizes well and smells great, and is way cheaper. Remember that problems with your skin are just indicators of something being off inside your body, too. Good luck!

my aunt told me to put vics vapor rub on my feet for cracks (thin layer with a paint brush works best). its a godsend!

1 / 3