What to Do About Cough in 15 Month Old???

Hi Mommas!
I need some suggestions on things to do for my baby girls cough. Yes I am one of those mommy's who does not medicate unless she REALLY needs it, but she is not getting much sleep and just coughs all night and at nap. So this is what I've tried so far. Elevated her mattress, run a humidifier, and rubbed her chest with baby vicks and she is still in there coughing. Anything else would be so helpful to help her sleep better and Mommy too. Also want to add that she does not have any fever, just a little runny nose during the day. Thanks in advance.

Also wanted to add that this is a dry cough. She even seems like she would rather not cough, but when she does it is dry sounding. And again no fever and clear mucus from the nose. Have not heard wheezing yet. Will definitely be trying the vicks on the feet tonight. Any other suggestions still welcome!

Oh my goodness, the vicks on the feet covered with socks REALLY works. She went down and might have coughed once, and I haven't heard a peep from her since. AMAZING! Yes I am still going to watch and make sure she doesn't get any worse, but at least she is now getting some rest. Thanks Mommas.

I think try the vicks vapor rub but if it she continues coughing then you should probably consider taking her to a DR because my son would cough all night and one night I had to rush him to the ER because he couldn't breath and he had croup.

I recently heard that Vicks rubbed on their feet w/socks on helps. I've done it for my boys & it seems to be helping. Hope this works for you. Have a great week!

S. J

The vicks on the bottom of the feet does work and works like magic. I've even used it on myself. Use regular vicks, not the baby kind, coat the bottom of the feet and put on a pair of socks. I can tell you that when I did it, within 10 minutes I could feel the back of my throat opening up (like I had been sucking on a lozenge) and I didn't cough the rest of the night. Everytime I do this with my daughter she is the same story. She will cough all day and then at night with the vicks on she's fine. I also still run the humidifier and I use the vicks plug ins.

I got this e-mail yesterday and thought I would pass it on. I hope it works/helps.

VICK's Vapor Rub.

During a lecture on Essential
Oils, they told us how the foot
soles can absorb oils.
Their example: Put garlic on
your feet and within
20 minutes you can 'taste' it.

Some of us have used Vicks Vaporub
for years for everything from chapped lips
to sore toes and many body
parts in between. But I've never
heard of this. And don't laugh,
it works 100% of the time,
although the scientists who
discovered it aren't sure why.

To stop night time coughing in a child
(or adult as we found out personally),
put Vicks Vaporub generously
on the bottom of the feet at
bedtime, then cover with socks.
Even persistent, heavy, deep coughs
will stop in about 5 minutes and
stay stopped for many, many hours
of relief. Works 100% of the time
and is more effective in children than
even very strong prescription cough
medicines. In addition it is extremely
soothing and comforting and they
will sleep soundly.

Just happened to tune in A.M. Radio
and picked up this guy talking about
why cough medicines in kids often do
more harm than good, due to the
chemical makeup of these strong drugs
so, I listened. It was a surprise finding
and found to be more effective than
prescribed medicines for children at bedtime,
in addition to have a soothing and
calming effect on sick children who
then went on to sleep soundly.

My wife tried it on herself when she had
a very deep constant and persistent
cough a few weeks ago and it
worked 100%! She said that it felt
like a warm blanket had enveloped
her, coughing stopped in a
few minutes and believe me, this
was a deep, (incredibly annoying!)
every few seconds uncontrollable cough,
and she slept cough-free for hours
every night that she used it.

If you have grandchildren, pass this
on. If you end up sick, try it yourself
and you will be absolutely amazed
at how it works.

This may sound odd but try the vicks on her feet and put socks on them. It helps my Sons and then I don't hear the "that stuff stinks" quite as much.

I'm like you no drug unless we have too. If you are sure she does have a chest cold then coughing is good. It clears out the sinus and cavity and keeps things moving. Someone told em to put the vapor rub on the bottom of their feet.

My son had the same problem. My pediatrician told me to continue with the humidifer, NO BABYVICKS ( he says the ingredients keeps the baby from getting better) and give plenty of water to help flush out the extra fluid. My son wouldn't drink his nursery water after awhile so he told me to put a teaspoon of sugar in four ounces of water. So after every bottle I give him four ounces of this "sugar water" and it has worked great! Stopping the babyvicks and the water has been a lifesaver. Hope this helps you like it has helped me!!!!

S. J

Triaminic strips for children...I think of it as like a miracle drug. It has only the usual ingredients, but I find it works best. You should ask your Dr if you need to cut it in half for your little one.

Hi C.. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. The only other things I can suggest that I have also done is to use the Little Noses Saline Spray which gets the nasal passages and sinus nice and moist. Also, you should make sure that all of the vents, esp. in her room are good and clean. I've noticed that when even a little dust builds up on ours, mine and my family's allergies really act up. Hope this suggestions help. Good luck!

1 / 3