What to Buy for Birthday/Christmas for an 8 Year Old Girl

Is my 7 soon to be 8 year old daugher too old for a barbie house? She has a little tykes one and wants the 3 story one for her babries now, but not sure if she will out grow is soon after I purchase.

Thanks for the comments so far...these are very helpful.

Buy the Barbie House. My daughter loved it. She will play with it for 3 or 4 years. And it sells well on a garage sale.

Purchase the house second hand or on ebay so that you don't pay full price, then try to keep it in reasonably good condition and you can bless another girls life when your dd outgrows it. Good Luck

She might out grow it soon but I doubt it. If she is currently playing with the little tykes one, I am sure she will enjoy a new BIG one! I think I played w/ barbies until 13 or so. I still love them and wish I had the house for my daughter. I say get it, it is a classic! Save it if you can for her kids. Later you can even buy the small doll house stuff and put in it if you wanted to.

D., I was discussing something similar to this with my mom the other day. Think back to when you were a little girl. How long did you play with Barbie? I played with Barbie (openly) until I was about 10 or 11 and still dressed them and combed their hair and had them looking nice until I was 13 or 14. I didn't actively play with them but wanted them to look nice. I think 8 is fine to play with Barbies. I think we try to make our children grow up so much faster than we did. Even if she doesn't play with it when her friends are around I would get it, if you can afford it, and allow her the opportunity to pretend as long as she wants to. Nothing is better than Barbie's dream house and pretending:-)

how much does she play with the one she has now if you say alot i say get it for her. i loved my barbies until i was about 10

While personally, I hope my daughter doesnt like to play with Barbies since I think they are bad for self esteem, to answer your question - No Way! I played with Barbies until I was embarassingly like 13 years old.

HI D.,

Go buy the house! My soon to be 12 year old still plays with her Barbie Talking Townhouse. I bought it because it folds up when not in use - great feature. It is only two stories, but it talks. Girls will still play with in, but they do like more "sophisticated" accessories to go with the house and the dolls. They play in a different way than younger girls, but they still like it. The big house you're talking about is expensive and they do not move well, so if you will be moving anytime soon, I would not recommend it. My friend's daughter has the Hannah Montana house and even though her daughter doesn't like Hannah Montana, said that the house was great and came with really cool furniture. Just a thought. L.

I think she will love it and get 3-5 yrs from it. Good luck.

1 / 3