What's Your Hobby?

JFF!! :)

Actually, someone suggested on my last post to keep my hands busy (thanks mama!) And I realized that, while there are lots of little things I enjoy doing (READING, coloring -yes, like kid stuff-, puzzles, playing scrabble by myself) I never really do these things daily because the baby keeps me so busy and gets into everything. Can't exactly start a 1,000 piece puzzle with baby around!

None of those things are really HOBBIES though. I also love love love my glue gun... I make flower hair barrettes like a machine, LOL. I guess I like crafty stuff, but it gets EXPENSIVE. I'm not into crochetting or knitting... although I'd love to splurge on a sewing machine so I can tear up old tshirts and make new stuff.

What is YOUR hobby, when do you find the time to do it, why do you enjoy it, what is the cost??

I'm open to anything and everything :)

LOL @ AMANDA... yes, drinking counts!!

I cook excessively (whole neighborhood's gettin' fat).

And weather permitting, I garden excessively.

Both very pricey SAHM Occupational Hazards, sigh, but in a way, it benefits the Family, right?

:)

I love to cross stitch, I made a birth one for all three of my kids, make christmas stockings, gifts for friends. It is a no brainer (once you learn it) it is relaxing for me. Something I can do with the kids around or at night while watching t.v It is just so relaxing for me and really quit simple and not a big mess.

:)

I used to love drawing and sketching but can't seem to settle down and do it--used to spend HOURS on it--scenery, animals, portraits, fanciful images, etc. My SIL got me a new sketchbook and beautiful pencils for Christmas and I drug out my old drawings and am going to try to re-inspire myself.

I like some crafy things but I am a cheater. I use my glue gun a LOT and love making my kids' Halloween costumes. I also really like finding scraps of material, ribbon, beading, etc. and using nuts, which I glue together with wood glue, paint, and decorate into small animals as Christmas ornaments. That doesn't take a ton of time all at once and I can start and stop as I like as long as I keep the projects on a plate out of reach of the kids. I haven't finished any for a while.

Summer hobby: FISHING!!! Thankfully, my boys like fishing, too. Sadly, I usually feel I can't justify my own fishing license, so my husband usually buys the license and I take one kid for a hike while he fishes with the other and then we switch. So add hiking to my list as well. :)

Newish "hobby" (quite embarrassing for a girl who only ever owned a pair of hiking boots and sneakers) is shoe shopping. Expensive if you buy, super fun if you can just try on some really hot new heels and think about wearing them to work. Awesome if you find a great clearance deal. Not so awesome when you're nine months pregnant and can't handle putting anything on your feet at all. :) (I prefer to be barefoot anyway, but if I HAVE to wear shoes...may as well have fun, right?)

Books and antiques--I'm a book collector (will never own a Kindle unless some mad soul buys me one, but I will return it and buy books). I love the smell, sight, and feel of books, especially older books. I don't have a lot of time to browse antique stores or used book stores, but sometimes that is my Saturday morning break after I let my hubby sleep in--I head over to the antique store in town and just wander and see if anything grabs me, even something small like a handkerchief, or old bookends, or a book. That is as cheap or expensive as you let it be. I find the experience of the store very soothing though and don't always buy anything.

I've just started scrap booking and I bought a Cricut machine and love love love it! It is fast and easy and you can make cut outs for your babies photo albums or start making a scrap book while your child is young so you can remember every picture you are putting in there more clearly than starting when they get older.

Does drinking count? :)
Cleaning?
Cooking?

I do garden and Can homemade jams and salsa......

I've been knitting & crocheting for 28 years...I started when I was 4. I do one or both of them daily after the kids are in bed and the house is tended to. It's the only way I really know how to relax :)

I love to cook and come from a 'cooking' family. So I do a lot of cooking and baking. I also love gardening and although we have a small yard, we have an organic vegetable garden and herb garden and I grow roses. Lol, I never realized how much I would love to garden until I was able to. My son is 11 now and helps me plant and weed and is proud to take fresh heirloom tomatoes to school for his teachers or take a bag of green beans over to our neighbor's in the summer, so it is really a family thing.

I also read a lot and play the piano.... these hobbies can cost as much or as little as you want to put into it. Cooking is something you have to do anyway, lol. Gardening requires a little initial investment, but pays off in fresh veggies and you can get into community seed swaps and all kinds of freebies. You just need to find something you LOVE. :)

I love coloring, too. I color while I watch TV sometimes. They have so many amazing coloring books on Amazon.com. I have an Erte Designs one, a Geisha one, Indian Mandala designs, Fairies, etc.

Traditional scrapbooking is fun, but it became out of the question once I had babies. It just took too much time to get out and clean up, and babies were getting into all the stuff. I will sometimes get on shutterfly.com and work on digital photo books. I like it because there is no mess and I can still be creative with fonts and layout and page patterns. Then when I have a few extra bucks, I order the completed photo book and they mail it to me.

Hula hooping while I watch tv is a good way to burn calories. I find it to be fun and relaxing. Plus, you really can't be eating at the same time.

I love drawing and painting but it is a bit more expensive, messy and time consuming. I have to schedule time to do it. My kids usually want to paint at the same time.

Baking and cooking... but I am afraid that while that keeps your hands busy, it doesn't help in the overeating dept.!

1 / 3