What's Your Favorite Christmas Meal?

Putting together menus for this week & need inspiration.

What are some of your favorite Christmas time meals? (Don't necessarily want recipes know everyone is busy this time of year) Would love to have a taste of what other folks do, either as tradition or just what you're doing this year.

The week of Christmas I always do meals that I can make ahead and freeze. I've made chili for Christmas Eve. I bought tamales to have with them. Both of them are frozen. I will make my dressing today and freeze it.
I made a creamy chicken casserole last week and froze it. It is from Southern Living. (wild rice, french style green beans, chicken, mushrooms, cream of celery, etc.)
I try to cook ahead, so I can enjoy my company. I will cook sausage today to have with breakfast on Christmas morning. I do as many things ahead. Have a joyous Christmas.

We do gumbo on Christmas Eve and finger foods Christmas Day. Everything is low stress - makes it easier to relax and enjoy.

Our familly does the traditional turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving....For Christmas we do all finger foods and desserts. Little sausages, Queso, Taquitos, Shrimp ect... All appitizer things-that way we do not have long cooking times and can snack all day.

For Christmas I always do a honey ham, green bean casserole, deviled eggs, cheesy biscuits, and of course pies! :)
Leftover honey ham slices make excellent sandwiches too.

Dear L.,

I am a traditional gal, so I like the turkey or ham and sides, however, I do a twist on some of the sides - mashed potatoes with grated granny smith apples and blue cheese! YUM, also, I heat the milk, blue cheese and butter so that the cold from those ingredients doesn't cool down the potatoes too quickly. Green bean casserole is a must for me.

I also like to start with a selection of cheeses and veggies with dip so that starving folks aren't picking at dinner before it is ready. Some of my favorite starters are creme cheese (room temp) with jalepano jelly on top or creme cheese (room temp) with cocktail sauce and canned crab meat on top YUMMY!

On Christmas Eve we will do enchiladas, chili or pizza since we will have leftovers of the big meal for days!

I hope that you have a great Christmas.
blessings,
Stacy

Our meal tends to be secondary to dessert. This year I picked out an amazing looking berry trifle to make. It is so impressive looking and on line all the reviews were topnotch!

We do the traditional stuff - turkey and dressing, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, etc, etc. But, sometime during the winter (sometimes more than once), at my parents house, we used to set up a complete picnic on the living room floor (tablecloth, plates, glasses, chips, the whole thing) and roast hot dogs in the fireplace, with s'mores for dessert. Summertime and wintertime fun, all rolled up together! Great if you're having kids over. And fun nostalgia for the parents - when was the last time you made s'mores with marshmallows you had roasted over a fire, and not just heated in the microwave?

We usually do fried catfish, gumbo or jambalaya. Last year my mom did enchiladas and barracho beans.

Margaret :)

For the past few years my husband has been frying a tureky (read all safety instructions!) and it is super delicious. We usually have all the normal fixins, mashed potatos, sweet potato, corn, carrots, green beans, stuffing and baked glazed ham.

My favorite family tradition is I cook a huge Christmas breakfast which includes gingerbread pancakes, french toast strata, sausage, eggs hashbrowns, bacon and bisquits! Sometimes we invite the family over but sometimes it's just the 3 of us!

1 / 3